Day Four

London Travel Blog

Bedford Square

First day of classes. They were pretty good. In travel writing we didn't do much. He just told some (depressing) stories and gave a very vague general overview of the course. We have a 300-500 word assignment due Sunday: first impressions of London. Let's just say it's not going to be too positive (although my impressions now are growing increasingly positive every day).

He let us out an hour and a half early which was nice. I went back to the flat for lunch with my suitemate (which I wouldn't have had time for had class not ended early).

Then I went to reporting the arts. He focused a lot on musicals--he went down a list of all the shows currently playing and gave a run down of what the shows were about. I was suprised he did that for the 30+ shows since not everyone will be focusing on musical theater, but I didn't mind.

Bedford Square
We have to choose a British arts critic to follow this semester. I think I'm going to use A.A. Gill. I read a piece of his in last Sunday's Times criticising British theater critics and I really liked his sharp tone and point of view.

Then tonight a bunch of us went to see The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged. Originally it was just my roommate, myself, and 2 others. Somehow that turned into 16, which then turned into 8 when we could only get 15 pound tickets rather than 10 pound ones. But honestly, 30 bucks for (amazing) seats for a theater show is such a steal compared to Broadway.

The show was pretty good. There were some funny moments, but a little of the jokes got a little repetitive over time. I wish I was more familiar with Shakespeare's work because I would have appreciated it more. But the plays I did know (Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet) I really liked.

Tomorrow I think I'm going shopping--Marc Jacobs, HM, Topshop. I also want to get my school work out of the way.

The pictures I have posted are along Bedford Square, where classes are held.

On the way to Beford Square