Day Fifteen

London Travel Blog

London sign

Beautiful, clear blue skies... it's about time!

Today was the kickoff of the Tour de France. Even though I'm not into cycling it was still pretty fun. We went to Hyde Park, but by the time we got there there was already a massive crowd. After a while we were finally able to get to the front of the barriers and actually see the riders come by. Then after a while it became the same old same old (I don't know who any of these people are) so I headed inside the park a tiny bit where a huge TV screen was set up. I saw the two big British cyclists do their thing (the crowd went crazy) and the world champion run the course in less than 9 minutes. I gotta say, getting down to the last stretch, wondering if he'll make it into first place, and then seeing him clock in at 8:55 or so was a rush.

Hyde Park

Sidenote: there are cars that follow the riders with a bikerack and sometimes another with a camera crew or something. Why do they use American cars? I noticed that all the drivers were on the left side. But they had British plates. Interesting... doesn't make too much sense.

I was at the park for most of the afternoon... about 3:00 to 6:00. I planned on going to a show tonight, but that didn't work out. On the way to the tube I noticed people untying these big London posters from the barriers so I decided to do the same. A little souvenir to take with me. So I decided I didn't want to lug  these massive cloth London posters into a show. I'll just have to go to a show one night this week instead.

The weather today was perfect for the tour.

Beautiful sky
People watching on TV must have thought "Wow, London is such a beautiful city. Bright blue skies, white puffy clouds. Absolutely gorgeous." Yea, well not so much. Usually the weather sucks, this was just a fluke. It was a miracle really. I'm so sick and tired of grey and rain. I swear, if it rains even one ounce while I'm at the beach someone's going to pay. I've had enough rain over these past two weeks to last a lifetime.

And, I must admit, for a split second I actually felt... hot... outside. Never thought that would happen here. I'm so used to jackets and pants, I'm starting to forget what summer feels like. That sticky, humid, hot air... I kind of miss it. And summer clothes, too... tank tops, skirts. Here it's just so blah all the time. Like San Francisco. Today just reminded me how much I need my summer weather. Cross your fingers for more blue skies and warm air. I sure could use it.

British flag