Day Eleven

London Travel Blog

Cool bridge

Today was class times two. For my travel writing class we're going to have to come up with a 300-word travel guide style blurb about something cheap in London (under 10 pounds, preferably free). Any/all ideas are more than welcome. I refuse to let my GPA suffer because I took two summer courses.

This evening my roommate and I went to the Globe Theatre to see Love's Labours Lost. More like My Understanding of the Play Was Lost. Um, note to self: never, ever even think about seeing a Shakespeare production without reading the plot ahead of time!!! I didn't understand, oh I don't know, essentially everything that happened (although after reading Sparknotes right now I realize that I did understand everything.

Just not much happened).

The show was a comedy about a King and his three bffs that swear off women for three years to concentrate on academics. Right, like that's gonna happen. So then a bunch of random characters do stuff which I still don't understand even after reading the plot (they all have really weird names so I blame that). Then the Princess of France and her three bffs visit the King and all the boyz fall in love. But they can't do anything blah blah blah. Then they all agree to woo their ladies, but the girlz wear masks and the boyzz get tricked. And then, because it makes complete sense, the girls say they'll return their suitors' love if they live in isolation for a year.

Yea...

I'm thinking I should stick with seeing tragedies.

Outside The Globe
First off, I never get the "humor" of the Shakespeare comedies. I get the physical gags (obviously) but all the puns and wordplays go over my head especially when I'm listening to the story rather than reading it. Second, the tragedies are, obviously, more intense so I feel like the acting is more passionate and moving. With the dramas even if you don't understand each and every word coming out of the actors mouths at least you understand the emotions. With the show tonight it felt like the actors were just reading a script... they were just saying what they were saying and feeling nothing.

We left after the first half, which was actually the first four Acts so we didn't miss much. We just couldn't see that well (we were standing) and it was getting chilly and we were completely lost. The tickets were only 5 pounds and I feel like I got my money's worth.

So now I think I need to reward my attempts at being scholarly with a nice old fashioned musical. Dirty Dancing here I come...

Inside The Globe
Musicians #1 (with creepy guy)
Musicians #1 (with creepy guy)
Musicians #2