Day One

London Travel Blog

View from the plane #1

Here I am in England; it was an interesting trip.

The flight was…decent. I love the accent. It’s so ridiculous how a Brit can make anything sound more intelligent than an American can. The in-flight safety instructions came across charming rather than dull and boring.

The flight was going well at first. I watched the first half of The Holiday, which was cute, but I got tired and turned it off. That’s when the flight started going downhill a little. The seat was really uncomfortable. I had tons of wiggle room which was nice, but I just couldn’t get comfortable. My back and my legs ached and nothing I did could fix it.

And then came something I really should have been prepared for, but absolutely wasn’t.

View from the plane #2
A snorer. In the next row, one seat behind was one of the loudest snorers I have ever heard. I have a low snore-threshold to begin with… he could have been purring softly and it would have bothered me. But, luckily for me, he snored so incredibly loud the ENTIRE trip, up until landing. I wanted to kill myself. Or him.

And nothing I tried could drown him out. I tried playing music. First I tried classical since that’s good bedtime music, but nope I could still hear him. Then I tried some funky rock-pop and I could kind of drown him out, but I couldn’t fall asleep to it. So I wound up listening to all different kinds of music switched back and forth the entire night. And, for the most part, I could still hear him. It was a restless night. I probably got four miserable hours of patchy sleep. But, surprisingly I’m not too tired yet.

Took a while to leave the plane.

View from the plane #3
Was interrogated a bit at customs, which surprised me. Everyone else went right through. I guess I look like a terrorist?

The building is nice. My flat is on the fifth floor (which is actually the sixth floor in the American system) and the elevators are really slow. The suite itself is really nice. A nicer kitchen, common room, and bathroom than I had in New York. My room is pretty small; I’d say it has the same amount of walking room as my room first semester last year :/ But overall it’s quaint and has a decent amount of drawer space and an armoire.

After unpacking and settling in I needed to go the drug store. So I walked the 20 minutes or so and then, joy oh joy, it’s closed on Saturdays and Sundays! Sorry, London, but how can you be a bustling metropolis if your stores just close for the entire weekend? It doesn’t make much sense to me.

View from the plane #4
What do the locals do if they run out of toothpaste of face wash on a Saturday? Just wait until Monday? Whatever.

Then, the icing on the cake, the Internet wasn’t working. And it wasn’t working for anyone. So I’m writing this entry hours after arriving, but who knows when I’ll actually be able to post it. [edit: it I just got wireless working. My fault completely; gave the wrong MAC address]

I haven’t eaten since last night and now it’s past 3:00. There’s a grocery down the block. I walked into it on my way back from my drugstore bust and it was kinda weird. The prices, converted to dollars, were a lot cheaper than I expected--bordering New York and Maryland prices, closer to Maryland. But all the brands are really weird. The logos look similar to American brands and the names kinda sorta look the same.

Front door, flat 13
But they’re different. Even the Cheerios box (the only thing I recognized) looks totally different.

The neighborhood seems nice. It’s a lot different than Broome Street. It’s a longer walk to get to places (like the shops) but there is a supermarket, post office, Subway (the fine dining establishment), and (yippee!) a KFC all nearby. And there was this cute little farmer’s market right outside the place I got my phone card, but I was too frazzled to appreciate it.

My classes don’t start until Tuesday. Tomorrow is class orientation, so I’ll get acquainted with the school building and figure out the best way to get there. Then hopefully the rest of the day I can explore the area by class and the dorm.

silan says:
sounds like some of my plane experiences :)
Posted on: Jun 25, 2007
Walk in, see door to bedroom #1
Walk in, see door to bedroom #1
Turn left, bedroom #2 on right, ba…
Turn left, bedroom #2 on right, b…
Bathroom
Kitchen to the left
Kitchen to the left
Common area to the right
Common area to the right
View from common area to the balco…
View from common area to the balc…
View from common area #1