Second Month

Lae Travel Blog

Crossing a creak

I have now been here more than a month. Not that I have become any more enlighten what to make of this strange but beautiful place. Rather the other way around. The climate is now turning rather awesome, if the change is in my body’s way to take the heat and the humidity or if the weather actually is getting a little cooler I cannot say. But I finding that it is quite bearable to move around in the mornings and the evening after 4 a clock or in the appenon (afternoon) as they say here.

It is indeed a strange, scary and beautiful place. The multitude of everything here is overwhelming. With over 700 different tribal languages Papua is hosting one third of all now spoken language in the world, not bad for a country of a little more than five million. (The numbers here is rather uncertain depend on what you call a language I have heard all from 700-1500 independent languages but anyway it is a couple of more than we talk in Sweden)

Unfortunately the country is hard travel.

Insect farm in Wau
I am used to walk some extra miles to get around, however, PNG is beating anything I have encounter by far. The roads are awful with potholes big enough to host a mid size family and the cars are, not surprisingly, in the same condition. It is not unusual to see a bus literally travelling sideways in a 15-degree angel to the road, like a circus horse, the driver skilfully compensating the twist of the rear wheals as he bounces over a cratered moon like surface in an enormous dust cloud. Adding to that, sometimes the buses are held up by gangs of bandits (rascals) robing the driver of the ticket cash.

But there is as you probably gathered another side, the enchanted exotic landscape with mysterious people living the same way they have done since the Stone Age.  There are a couple of tribes that are so shy and small in numbers that have had no communication with any of the western civilisation what so ever, amassing to think of in our day where people get so addicted to Internet and fast communication.

Insect farm in Wau

Some the players in the soccer team has invited me to join them under the upcoming break to trek Mount Wilhelm the highest peak in PNG. Sounds like a great adventure. I also have plans to go scuba diving, the waters around here are just awesome, with coral reefs and a lot of old wrecks from WW II.

Hugs Johan