TROMSO, NORWAY

Tromso Travel Blog

Then, we arrive at Tromso, (63,500 population). We did have an excursion today. Mum and I joined with a couple that was part of the vantage tour, butch and lauren We took the “26” city bus to the cable car to the top of the mountain over Tromso. The bus was 12 krone one way. We walk thru the town centre to catch the bus. It was a 5min bus ride. The cable car roundtrip for adults is 85 kroner($17). There was a deal for a family of 4 for 200 kroner($40). We talked the cashier to give us that deal and he did. What a deal?!?!?!? The cable car ride was 5mins to the top. The view was breath taking. I have not taking a cable car ride since I went to palms springs, California back in when I was 12. EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!! :P

It was worth the trip.

The view is unbelievable. The view of Tromso was just like on the travel books I have. I took a panoramic view of the city. There was even a rainbow. We saw the ferry, arctic cathedral, bridge, and airport. It was a clear day. We spend about 2 hours up there. There were also parachute gliders up there jumping off the cliffs. We were watching them glide down the mountain. We went to talk to the last guy getting ready to set up. He said sometimes on a good windy day. He would glide for 2-3 hours till he hit the ground. I would love to do that one day. I walk up to a cliff where the view was much better. Then it started to rain. We went inside the warming hut to share a chocolate bar. I took pictures of troll dolls and views from the warming hut. Then it was perfect timing for the cable car to arrive. It was 4:30pm. We needed to back on the ferry by 6:30pm. We took the cable car down. We asked a local where we can catch the next “26” bus. The local guy said it was faster to just walk to the arctic cathedral to catch the “26” bus.
view from Storsteinen
The walk was about 10mins. We end up walking about 2 blocks and found a bus stop that gets the “26” bus. While we were waiting this local lady told us that the bus does not stop here because there is construction. The Norwegians are so friendly and helpful. This is the way I like to travel. I like to have some adventure. While we were walking to the arctic cathedral, we were taking pictures of the homes. They are so unique. It was raining on top of it. We did not bring our umbrella. When we got to the arctic cathedral the “26” bus was coming in 10mins. We can also see the high ski jump ramp from Lillehammer, Norway Winter Olympics 1994.

It was 5:30pm; we had time to shop for a bit. Lauren wanted to go to this Norwegian sweater shop near the port. WOW I had no idea wow expensive these sweaters are.

They are beautiful. If I bought it, when I am not wearing it I put it in a fire proof closet. HAHAHHAHA. I think I will only get the beanie. I am very picky buying a beanie. I would buy a beanie and t-shirt and wear it when I fly home. Then I would wear the beanie on my next trip which is hopefully Chile and Antarctica [crossing fingers].

Anyway, we just window shopped and walked back to the ferry. There walked past a small park with a Jewish memorial plaque.

Tromso, Norway Memorial to the Holocaust: 17 Jews from Tromso, Norway, were deported to Auschwitz in 1942.

A memorial to them is found in the Central Square, about 100 feet off the main coastal shipping boat dock, near a statue of explorer Roald Amundson.

Tromso is a city above the Arctic Circle in Norway, the only such city with such a geographic location with a University. That a monument exists in Tromso shows the relentlessness of the Germans is deporting Jews and support they had from the Norwegian police and the collaborationist regime of Vikun Quisling.

Then, I took a picture a bird that had a cute tweak. Off to the ferry we go and it was DINNER TIME. WOO HOO. Notice I have not taking pictures of food after the first day. The food in the beginning was a tease. The rest of the days have been sub par. However, during lunch time, I had a best dessert on the ferry.

It was a chocolate cake and when you cut open the middle the chocolate sauce would ooze out like a volcano cake. OMG that was the best. Unfortunately, everybody masticate that so fast. There was nothing left. I hope they will serve that again. We are heading out to Honningsvag tomorrow.

Tromsø is the largest Norwegian town north of the Arctic Circle, with a population of about 60,000. It boasts the world's northernmost university as well as the world's northernmost brewery.

Because Tromsø is so far north, summer days are very long (though, sadly, not warm). In August (when I visited) it is just light enough at midnight to read a book outdoors.

As far back as a century ago, visitors were surprised to find culture, intellectual life and the current fashions so far north, and the city derived the name Paris of the North.

paragliders jumping off the side of the mountain.
That reputation lives on today. Visitors to Tromso are charmed by the city's patriotic, loud and obliging residents, by a historical, compact and characteristic city centre, by a live and active cultural life all year round, by the Northern Lights, Polar Nights, Midnight Sun, by the exciting attractions, good possibilities for excursions and widely varying weather.

Tromsø centre is the largest wooden city north of Trondheim, and has a rich architectural inheritance in the Imperial style of the 1800s, richly interspersed with both beautiful and not so nice buildings from later periods. The Arctic Cathedral, built in 1965, is the city’s most recognisable feature. This distinctive structure was inspired by Northern Norwegian faith and nature. One of its features is a flaming and extremely original glass mosaic.

The Polar Museum is devoted to the city’s past as the centre for Polar sea catches and the starting points for Arctic expeditions.

paragliders
The University Museum of Tromsø shows the depth of Northern Norwegian nature and culture. Aquariums with seals and fish from the region, along with a wonderful multi-media presentation on Svalbard, are attractions at Polaria, a knowledge-based experience and adventure centre for the Polar Regions. The Art Museum of Northern Norway portrays Northern Norwegian art and Northern Norwegian motives.

The cable car up Storsteinen, 420m above sea level, offers breathtaking panoramic views over the city and, if you are lucky, of the Midnight Sun or the Northern Lights. The world’s northernmost botanical garden contains hardy plants from six continents. The Perspective Museum in the city centre has exhibitions on the city’s past and present.

Mack’s Brewery, the world’s northern most brewery, welcomes visitors on a guided tour.

Don’t miss the chance to get out of the city and see the Lyngen Church, which was built in 1731, or Northern Norway’s largest wooden building, Solhov folkehøgskole (county college), built in 1924. Both are situated under the mountain peaks in photogenic Lyngen.

Tromso was destroyed after the WWII. All the houses are were rebuilt after 1947.

mellemel8 says:
awesome have a good time and take photos :)
Posted on: Jan 26, 2009
view from Storsteinen
paragliders jumping off the side o…
paragliders jumping off the side …
our ferry
our ferry
view of the arctic church from Sto…
view of the arctic church from St…
jewish memorial plaque