SEA EAGLE SAFARI

Lofoten Travel Blog

entering Raftsund

My mum and I went to deck 8 to eat our snacks that we bought. i was looking forward to eat my cream puff.  i was dreaming about the cream puff i had in bergen.

we hung out til we entered Raftsund and enter the Trollfjord, it is 2 km long and only 100 meter wide at its mouth on the west side of Raftsund. That cream puff was so yummy with my tea. This fjord is the famous one. This is the fjord, Trollfjord, that they put in tour books to show what a Norway fjord cruise looks like. I took some great shots of the entrance. We were entering the Lofoten islands. Raftsund is a 20km long strait which forges through the rocks between Hinnoya and Austvagoy.

waterfalls in trollfjord
While we were in the bow of the ferry, I felt like the weight of the ferry tilting forward. Everybody was outside looking at the beautiful view of the fjord and the mountains. It was cold but nobody cared. 45min has passed; we got an announcement that the people who joined the “sea eagle safari” to meet at deck 4 to meet with the tender. We saw the tender from a distance to pick us up. We were going to meet the ferry in Svolvaer. This was a 3hr tour, EEEEEEEEK that sounded like Gilligan’s island. HAHAHAHA.

I waved, bye bye, at everybody on the “mother ship” HAHAHAHA. It was cool watching the ferry from the tender. I took a bunch of pictures of the boat in that angle. There were about 30 of us on the tender. We entered the Trollfjord.

the ferry entering trollfjord
WOW it was just like on those tour books but better. The mountains were tall and majestic. There were small waterfalls coming down the side of the cliff side. There was snow on the top. Then, we all turned around and saw the ferry coming in the Trollfjord too. We all looked at each other, very puzzled. Why did we pay this excursion if the ferry was going in here too? Well, the difference is, the ferry is too big to go close to the end of the fjord. We were able to get close. We saw jellyfishes. All different shapes and sizes, I did not know they can survive in very cold water. I saw an octagon shaped jellyfish with a red top. It was very cold in front of the boat. The tender were serving coffee, tea, and cookies. We watched the ferry enter the fjord. It passed by us and yelled at the people in the ferry.
feeding the sea gulls
“Did you see jellyfishes from up there?” We separated from the ferry. We entered a smaller fjord.

We started to see the sea eagles. The guide was also feeding the grey sea gulls. They were gliding near the tender and the guide. They we spotted the sea eagles. The guide started waving a huge mackerel in the air to get the sea eagle’s attention. The guide threw it in the water. Then all of us snapped our cameras to when the sea eagle grabbed the fish from the water with its sharp claws. There was about 2 then 3 then 4 then 6 sea eagles, it different sizes and colored tails. There was one adult sea eagle, you can tell by the white tail. The guide said we were lucky to see so many sea eagles. During this time it is breeding season.

sea eagle grabbing a fish
I look some good shots. Some were blurry. My motion option of my camera was not working. It kept on turning off my camera. I got a good shot of the sea eagle grabbing the fish from the water. I gave up after a few shots. I just took pictures of the sea gulls and the beautiful mountains and view. I just watched the sea eagle with my binoculars. The best camera moment was when the guide threw the fish in the air and sea eagle caught it in mid air and flew off. It was so sudden that no one got that shot. It was funny the sea gulls tries to eat the fish. The fish was too heavy and it does not have claws. The sea eagles are so beautiful. I could not stand the cols anymore and I went inside and had tea and cookies. Then everybody wanted to hang out inside. The tour ended in Svolaer.  It was perfect timing. My camera battery died on me. I took some many pictures since Tromso.

CFD says:
I love lofoten islands. They are so rugged , pointy and so isolated. There are also so many nice fisherman villages from hundreds of years ago that are being maintained as a part of our cultural heritage. National geographic would rate them as the 2.nd (or 3.rd) most scenic islands in the world.. And HUGE amounts of fish are being caught here every year.
Posted on: Jan 27, 2008
moreno1968 says:
What a coincidence, I wrote about Norway too but Oslo, jealous that you went to Bergen, I heard it is a beautiful place and now you attaching some photo, Thanks!
Posted on: Sep 23, 2007