MORE OF BERGEN AND GETTING ON THE BOAT

Bergen Travel Blog

featured blog 9/1/07
WOW WEE :D i have not started on my fjords cruise yet and it's already being "featured". thank you everybody who commented and given me smiles. i love TRAVBUDDY.

I am leaving Bergen today to board the MS Midnatsol which means “Midnight Sun.” the ferry does not leave till 8pm. This ferry is not a cruise that we are use to. The locals don’t call it a cruise it is a “voyage.” Our cabin is great. It was more than I expected.  I discovered the name of the fjords cruise is called “Hurtigruten”, which means “Coastal Express” It is also a working ferry. I also discovered that the listed towns that I am visiting. I am not even dock for not more than 30min. like I said it is a working ferry. There are cargos or people drive their cars in or people that need to be dropped off.

The main cities I will be visiting for at least an hour. Some towns were docking at 2am, 4am, or 5am. After we checked in our cabin, we expected the cabin to make sure everything is working. There is no tv in the room. Which is fine? I will be outside most of time taking pictures and pre typing my blog to cut/paste it on travbuddy. The bathroom reminds me of the hostel I stayed at in Glasgow, Scotland. Come to think of it. The cabin is the same size as my private room in the hostel.

It was dinner time, we went upstairs. We were the first seating. I was drooling over the food. Whale meat, elk meat, deer meat, salmon, crabs legs, lobsters, mussels, shrimp, prime rib, and that is just the main course. I have not even talked about the desserts.

They had chocolate mocha cake, flan, chocolate moose, carrot cake, bread pudding, a local fruit called lingonberry, it is in the cranberry family. There is a fruit cake roll made with that. I was talking to the waiter and he said that grows wild in backyards. I ate so much you had to roll me out of there. The best was that poached salmon.

There is 24hr food but you have to pay. It is more for the day travelers. There is a special room with seats similar in a plane. Where they can sleep and hang out. This is definitely different than a cruise ship. You have to pay of water, no ordering multiples of plates of different main courses, no professional photographers when you get of the boat, no captain’s night; however, I like it that way. The internet is 60 kroner ($12) an hour. Which is not bad, normally I pay $25 for an hour. Well, I slept at 11pm and I woke up at 2am. I am so wide awake and am blogging…..HAHAHAHA. Breakfast does not open till 7am. Our next stop is in Alesund.

mellemel8 says:
hee hee i do miss PI food. the seafood is so fresh.
Posted on: Sep 21, 2007