EuropeNorwayBodo

BODO, NORWAY

Bodo Travel Blog

When the hostess announced that we were approaching Bodo. I went outside to watch the ferry pull in the city limits. NATO had the large military base in Bodo. As we were pulling in, the airport was near the port. We were also meeting our water rafting tour group which was to the right as we disembarked the ferry. This was a 90mins tour. We had to wear a full body rain gear complete with a gloves, beanie, and goggles. We looked like we were going to a storm. I was very exciting. I think my mum was more excited than me. It was 14 person rubber raft including the driver and tour guide. We were getting ready to board the rubber raft. We had to get on the seats like getting on a horse. There was metal handle like back rests to hold on to. We started out slow. We saw our ferry getting smaller. As soon as we entered the Arctic Ocean, the driver put some turbo on the raft and off we go over high waves.

We were flying over those waves. We were catching air on some of them. My mum was putting her hands up like she was on a roller coaster in cedar point, OH. HAHAHAHA.  Everybody was giggling and saying “WHOA” over those big waves. We were on the Atlantic Ocean for about 15mins till we entered the fjord near Bodo. There was interesting rock striations on the mountains. It was formed from the glacier affect and water hitting the mountains. We saw sea eagles flying over us. Thanked god it did not poop on us HAHAHAHA. However, it was not close enough to see. At the end, we finished it off at salt fjord, which is south of Bodo, is magnificent. The famous saltstraumen tidal current flows through the 150 m wide strait, which is spanned by a magnificent bridge. There were mini whirl pools churning the water.  There is low and high tides in the fjords. You can tell by the colors of the mountains. There were different shades of brown.
After that, we went back to Bodo. I enjoyed the ruff boat ride back and forth the best. It was raining as well. The waves were high that that I could taste the Atlantic Ocean splashing on my face. I think my bum is going to be sore the next day. I had a good time with that excursion.

Bodø City is one of the best places in Norway to view the Midnight Sun during summertime. The Midnight Sun is a magnificent sight and could be seen from the end of May to the middle of July. It never get dark at night. You have to see it to believe it.

Bodø, latitude 67°17'N, (about 200Km north of the Artic Circle).

Bodo is the second largest town in Northern Norway. The town is surrounded by beautiful nature, including the Børvasstindene mountains to the south, and Landegode island and the Lofoten Islands to the north.

Norwegian Aviation Museum or to the many other sights and attractions found in the Bodø area. The island of Kjerringøy is about 40 km north of Bodø where narrow fjords encircle a mountainous peninsula.

Saltstraumen - Visit when the tide is at its highest and marvel at the forces of nature. Every six hours, 400 mill m3 of water at speeds up to 20 knots rush through the 150m wide and 3 km long sound connecting the Saltenfjord and the Skjerstadfjord. The powerful whirlpools can be up to 10m in diameter and 4-5m deep.

CFD says:
Melmel.. Right now Im in Bodø for the first time :P Was bored so i decided to see the Midnight sun on the brightest day of the year.. The fact that my Football Team played the local team from Bodø might have something to do with it as well :)
Posted on: Jun 23, 2009
mpmurph133 says:
I can't wait to go!
Posted on: Sep 21, 2007
mellemel8 says:
i did but, i could not take a pictures. the raft was moving to fast.
Posted on: Sep 17, 2007