AT BERGEN AIRPORT AND COLLECTIONS OF NORWAY THINGS

Bergen Travel Blog

I have not slept. The airport shuttle did not pick us up. It was the hotel manager’s fault. Our guide had to hijack one of the city shuttle buses to drop us off the airport. It was a ruff morning in Bergen airport. The SAS counter did not open till 5am. it was a long line, there was only 2 people at the counter. After, the 2 more came they opened. When it came to our turn, I was giving my boarding tickets but not my mum’s. she was in the system. We just had to line up in another SAS service desk to get my mum’s boarding tickets. I did not understand why that is so. We were standing on that line for an hour. One guide had to change 9 plane tickets with another SAS rep. thank god that were 2 of them. 3 people before us had 30min transactions. My feet and back were killing me. We finally finished our drama t the SAS service desk. I don’t even know if I can summarize my trip. I am a zombie right now. I need to keep busy in the airport while we wait.

I also like their cheese, Brunost is a brown Norwegian whey cheese, The Norwegian name brunost means 'brown cheese'.

In North America it is referred to and sold as gjetost, which is an older spelling of geitost that is no longer frequently used elsewhere. Also popular in Sweden, where it is called mesost.

The two most popular varieties in Norway are Gudbrandsdalsost, which means 'cheese from the Gudbrandsdal', from the Gudbrands valey (made from 24 % goat's milk and cow's milk), and the more traditional version geitost, which simply means 'goat cheese', and which is wholly or in part made from goat's milk. There are also regional varieties, which vary both in colour and taste, depending on how much caramel they contain.

Geitost has a strong, sweet, yet somewhat sharp flavor with notes of caramel and goat's milk, while Gudbrandsdalsost is similar but more mellow in taste. The two varieties are often used as an open sandwich topping, on bread, malt loaf, or together with lefse, a traditional soft Norwegian flatbread. Brunost and lefse are used in some areas as a side dish to lutefisk, a traditional dish made from stockfish.

Geitost is also used in game sauces, often together with juniper berries.

bergen manhole
It lends such sauces a more subtle, caramel taste.

My most memorable moment of this trip is going to North Cape. I enjoyed it very much. I can honestly say I have been on the top of the world. I enjoyed the drive from North Cape to Hammerfest.

I enjoyed Norway. I would like to go back to visit Oslo, Lofoten Islands, and Stavanger, just to visit travbuddies that live there. HAHAHAHA

I had a very good experience of Norway.

my reindeer cookies
Our guide knows the country very well, even though she is Danish and living in England for 30 years. I understand why this country is so expensive. There are only about 3 million people in Norway. They only produce food and resources for only 3 million people. it is a very rich country, oil, high tech, and fish industry is their bread and butter. They have free health care. The unemployment is very low. No one in Norway makes under $36,000 a year. I am glad Norway is NOT part of the “euro” cult. It makes the country unique. The Norwegians loves their country and take pride in it.

I would recommend going to Norway. The people are so friendly and honest.

brunost with a pancake
Well, the ones I encountered.  I would ask for directions and they are very helpful. I would do a land tour. I have always wanted to go a Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Helsinki train trip.

Maybe in a couple of years, I have a “top 5” to accomplish: Iceland, Greenland, Galapagos Islands, Easter Island and Antarctica.

I am going to miss those damn “reindeer cookies” HAHAHAHAHAHA

mellemel8 says:
awww thanks :) i have not been to oslo yet. i do love your country.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2008
Quest says:
well, sweetie.. those damn reindeer cookies are coming your way in less then 2 weeks, together with the Gudbrandsdalost. LOL

I'm so glad you enjoyed my country. And should you ever come back, you are more then welcome to stay at my place for a while. :o))
Posted on: Oct 26, 2008
watch for snow
watch for snow
round about
round about
how did they know i was coming. HA…
how did they know i was coming. H…
ladder for chimney sweeper