Rarifondis goats

Killarney Travel Blog

I am so jazzed!  I got an e-mail yesterday from Ireland.  As you know, we were in Ireland in 2006 during our tour of Europe.  And while there, on a farm outside of Killarney, we got to try something pretty new over there. It’s called “Rarrie Pushing”.  The Rarrie (Rare-ee) or Rarifondis, which is its real name, is a goat pretty much grown and bread only in Ireland.  And the idea of Rarrie Pushing is to try to get the poor beast to fall over onto its’ back.  Now you can’t hurt or injure it in the process but basically push, nudge, bump or jolt the little guy off it’s legs without using your hands or arms, only your hips or butt.  I guess it’s the Irish equivalent of “Cow Tipping” here in the United States.  I know it sounds silly, but of all the people on our bus tour who tried it and the stories we heard, I did the best ever, knocking six of six Rarries off their feet. I was kinda proud at the time but didn’t think too much of it. Just one of those silly things you do trying to do as the locals do.  I guess my nudge was different.

But this e-mail has really got me stoked!  It seems I am the only person to have recorded such a record in the last year.  And this year they are having a large tournament and adding “Rarrie Pushing” to the Irish festival.  You know, like the Scottish Highland games, tossing the Caber, and vaulting and such. The Collins clan has asked me to be on their team to win the overall competition.  My wife's family name was Collins back a generation so we qualify.  And a large brewery has offered to pay our way to Killarney, Ireland for the competition!  Air fare, in either First Class or Business Class mind you, our hotel, four star naturally, a rental car of my choice, and money to pay for any meals or incidentals while we are there. Could be for as much as two weeks! Can you believe that?

But I turned it down. Why, you ask?

“It’s a long way to tip a Rarrie.”

WaltJake says: