EuropeItalyRome

So much history, so little time

Rome Travel Blog

Me in front of the Colosseum.

The trip from Florence to Rome was really quick-- one of the shortest on the tour so far.  We had one quick service stop, then after another hour and a half, we were in Rome, amid all sorts of ridiculously crazy drivers who didn't seem to know of/obey any kind of traffic laws.  Yikes!

We had the opportunity to pay for a guided tour of the imperial city, but after yesterday's experience in Florence, I opted to do my own tour around.  I walked around with Natalie and saw a lot of the ancient sites.  We saw the outside of the Colosseum, then the Circus Maximus.  It was really crazy to think about all the history that had taken place there so many hundreds of years ago.

Inside view of the Colosseum.
  The Colosseum was absolutely enormous, so much bigger than I had pictured.  I ended up walking around the inside of it with Steph and Jamie, then met up with Al and Shane.  While we were on one of the upper levels, we looked down to see the tourmates who had taken the guided tour looking very bored... outside of the Colosseum.  Sucks for them.  We met up with all of them shortly after that, and none of them were impressed with the Rome tour either.  Score one for me.

We went into the main square in Rome for dinner after that.  My ravioli was great, as was the garlic bread and Capresi Salad (Tomato and Buffalo Milk Mozzarella with Basil).  And of course, gelato for dessert.  Got back to the campsite and everyone was pretty tired.  It was Baz's last night to be able to drink with us (as he didn't have to drive the next day), so I went with Steph and Jamie to the bar.

The Pantheon.
  This was after our shower in the boys bathrooms.

*Side note*-- Girls take forever to take their showers.  It's so much easier to just use the showers on the guys' side of the bathrooms.  They're in, they're out, and they don't use up all the hot water :)  I did this several times throughout the trip.  I also recommend showering at night whenever possible, as the showers are always really full and busy in the mornings, and you may not get one if you're not up early enough. *End Side Note*

Steph and Barry were play fighting for a while, then Andrea from California came to join the group.  Without going into details, she'd gotten the nickname mosquito on the trip, and really didn't really seem to like anyone on the tour.  She had been kinda bitchy to me earlier, telling me that I was such a midwesterner because I was too happy all the time.  She apologized though, and we came to the understanding that I'm a happy, positive person, and she's not.

After that, it was definitely time for sleep.

Another view.