I heart Paris

Paris Travel Blog

The Pyramid in front of the Louvre

Today was the BEST workout ever.  I felt like total shit, but I'm sure I burned more calories than I took in.  We had breakfast around 8:15.  Ham and cheese croissants, raisin bread/danish, cereal and orange juice.  Soo amazingly good.  We took off for the Louvre around 9:30 after learning that Diane's wallet had been stolen, including all of her cash and credit cards.  She was understandably upset about it.  Not sure what ever happened with that situation.

The Louvre was much better than I had expected, plus we were able to get into a side entrance and didn't have to wait in line at all.  Awesome.  The thing that impressed me most about the Louvre was how incredibly bright all the colors were.

Venus De Milo
  These paintings are hundreds of years old, and the colors are still as bright as if they had been painted yesterday.  After the Louvre, we went to Notre Dame.  I'd been there before, but it's a fantastically beautiful church.  We shopped around the Latin quarter for a bit, and I got a ham and cheese crepe (soo good).  I bought a new bag to go over my shoulder and across my body, as the one I had was really hurting my shoulder.

After, we headed to the Eiffel Tower.  We waited in line a good 30 minutes to get tickets, and decided that we would climb to the top rather than take the elevator, which would have required waiting in an even longer line.  We also thought it would be a great workout, and it didn't look like that bad of a climb.

Notre Dame Cathedral
  Boy was I wrong.  Considering I never work out anyway, the first few flights were okay, but then i started feeling really short of breath.  Steph, Jamie and Rowan power-climbed most of it, but I had to stop and catch my breath a few times.  I made it up eventually though, and then took the elevator up the rest of the way as you can't climb the entire way up.  We looked around, took a few pictures, caught my breath, and then started making our descent.  Going back down for me was a piece of cake.  Steph had a little more trouble, as did Jamie because of her fear of heights, but we made it back to the ground safely.  I should mention, the longest part of the Eiffel Tower was waiting in line.  You wait 30 minutes (at least) for tickets, walk up for about 7 or 8 minutes, wait another 30 for the lift to the very top, look around for 5 minutes, get back in line to go back down for another 10 minutes, and takes about 5 minutes to walk back down.
Me on top of the Eiffel Tower
  After getting back on solid ground, we had about 20 minutes to get back to the bus from the Eiffel Tower... and it was a good two miles away.  For most runners, that's no big deal, but for someone who doesn't run, I thought I might just die.  We all walked as fast as we could, but had to start running.  We arrived just as Baz was about to leave.  We were all hot and sweaty, but the AC felt really incredible.  We got back to camp to find out that Melissa had $500 stolen from her suitcase while we were out for the day.  Dinner was some OK chicken and rice, with an apple dessert.  Went to the bar, took a shower and called it a night.

Paris