Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

Cannes Travel Blog

A windy day at the Cannes beach.

Got up early this morning for breakfast, then left for Cannes with Jordana, Jamie and Elisabeth.  It was a different group than I'd been going around with for most of the trip, and I welcomed the change.  I had roomed with Jordana in paris, but I hadn't spoken with Jamie or Elisabeth at all (and they were fellow americans!).  Jamie M. was sick that day, so she stayed at the campsite.  About half of the tour went to Nice, but I wanted to lie on the beach, and it was my understanding the Cannes was the better beach and Nice was better for shopping.  I'd had quite enough shopping by this point on the tour.

Even though it was the first beautiful sunny day we'd had on our tour, it was also very windy.

Me in front of the Grand Casino.
  It made things quite chilly by the water.  We got about an hour of warm sun though, so that was nice.  We ended up running into Shane, Alan, Dave, Mike, Melissa and Amber a little further down the beach, and I decided to go into the water.  It was super cold at first, but after a while, you get used to it.  I mean, really, how often can you go for a swim in the Mediterranean?  We got some ice cream and headed back to the campsite.  I took a shower and had some dinner.  Then we all got dressed up for Monaco.  We all looked so nice... too bad it was wasted on an hour-and-a-half bus ride and only an hour in the Grand Casino.  The entrance fee just to get in was 10 euro, and the cheapest drink at the bar was a 6 euro glass of white wine.  Oh well, it was an experience anyway.  I would recommend to anyone going to Monaco that you skip the grand casino and go to the free one next door.  The Grand Casino is pretty from the outside, but nothing all that great on the inside (at least I didn't think so).

We drove back home (no one won much of anything), and as usual, the Aussies went to the bar and stayed out for a few hours.  I went to sleep early again (i think the lack of sleep was finally starting to hit me a little).  The next day we would be heading to Italy!

Me in front of the Grand Casino.
Pretty from the outside... not so …
Pretty from the outside... not so…
The shoreline in Cannes.