Voyeur in Ireland...

Northern Ireland Travel Blog

Limerick, such a lovely name. Mischievous name, musical, comical, festivity derives from such a name.  Not to disappoint, first day I walked into a bar waiting for my couchsurf host to come home. An Irish funeral was had, god bless the Irish. Most funeral homes own a bar. Most churches sit across from a bar. A 25 year old boy died. No further details were given. The party was maybe 50 people ranging from 70 to teens. I felt out of place, having not known the dead guy- I’d like to think he was a victim.  The stage was set when I was told he was 25. Oh that is too young, how’d he die? I asked. A 55 year old man, a hard man, good build in the forearms, square jaw, hard lines, eyes darting to me to somewhere said, “I can’t really say but you have to be careful, walk into the wrong bar.

(excitement) Now, if that doesn’t make you feel out of place!  I stood outside drinking my Guinness, what brought me to this particular bar is of course these young girls gathering and smoking, drinking in high heels, black skin tights, open neck line, bare shoulders, done  hair and an inappropriate amount of make up with fake tans. The neighborhood was slightly run down, likely to be the place where girls get pregnant at 14. The likelyhood of anyone doing more school than the mandatory 16 is poor.  Middle of the day, 4pm., I figured this was the only bar to have 15 attainable young women.  After the first pint, there was a second and soon third. The company of the older guy was replaced by 5 maybe 8 young guys in their 20’s.
I am starting to reach the age where I much rather have the company of a 50 yr old than a 25 yr old. All trying to talk to me, all at once, all with the hip hop big gestures, the guttural English that only passes for English due to the Irish accent I recognize. I discussed the finer points of traveling. We said our good byes. I went to meet my host. In Ireland, John is one of many very good people. Reasonable, intelligent, funny, educated, healthy and no hope of finding a job. There are so many people out of work. There seems to be no hope of finding a job and as long as the government supports the people feel no necessity to find a job.  This is the state of the crisis in Ireland and now the welfare state as it may be called, isn’t  considered such.
When everyone is “on the dole”, then where does personal pride stand? It is what it is. After awhile I imagine it is a way of social equality. If the governments were concerned with keeping score as in ‘winners and losers’ then I don’t see the benefits of numbing the culture. It is sad if we consider mans ability. What great men were created from poverty. When there is no more hunger that drives him to accomplish to build, the laws such that he may not build then he becomes stretched to conform to existence as it is “doled out”.   John, my host told me there was “travelers at the bar around the corner” . I considered it but travelers I have heard at every stop. Never saw them, they blend well in the society, they are Irish minority protected class of gypsies.
  All good fun, being American I am not worried about the shit between travelers and Irish. The stories I am sure have some basis in reality, but the one that circulates the most is some guy with a hot sister. He says, do you want to have sex with my sister? You answer yes (of course). He ask for 50 euros and then when you go in the alley you get mugged. How does this not make sense? God bless the ignorant.

John and I went out later, first to a dead bar, then lightly happening bar, met  John’s  friend Sinead. She goes to the bathroom, John does the quick explanation… she has naked parties. Cool chick, makes no qualms about wild sex parties she holds. Seemingly she took interest in me and we went to a nightclub.

I am not a nightclub guy but on a Tuesday, girls were lined up to the nines. Wearing as little as they could, breast coming out of their tops, skirts just covering their rumps, this nightclub thing could be fun. Sinead, may have saw my eyes diverting with every passing 18 yr old so like any good aging sex addict- she showed me her breast and I… the next day returned her scarf she left at the bar. Working at a specialty food shop, she rewarded me with Irish stew and potatoes. It was time to travel. The next day, I ate stew and watched a 7 hour cricket match between India and Pakistan.

All these towns are very livable but not much else for culture other than pubs. In Ireland the pubs close at midnight. In absence of culture one must drink. Met a cool American in the antique business, talked for a couple of days trading war stories.  Traveling is more about the people I meet the more I travel. One of my host once said she doesn’t want to travel a long time like I do cause it deadens one to the thrill of travel. I think somewhat true, somewhat I am getting older, somewhat I think of retirement from travel when I decide it is time. I refine the dream everyday of my retirement plans, I am a slow worker, patience is a real virtue. Patience allows one to make fewer mistakes by making better decisions or so this is how I see it.
Patience I hope one day will allow me to call myself a millionare without ever having to work a real job. A toast to patience, may he live long.  Back to the American, cool guy, laid back from NY or Virginia or somewhere in the east. He talked about how mundane the shop is, the future and politics. I about travel, politics and the future. It was a good 2 day conversation. First night, after he closed we had a drink together at the bar next to his shop. The next day, he was given an envelope with a quote from a young man. Inside the envelope was a little brick of hash. God bless those who give. Before he asked he chopped me off alittle and handed it to me and said he had to run errands so that was the last time we met. Now I don’t condone drug use unless it is natural, life is tax free, and it makes the story more interesting.
Certainly the circumstances match my three criteria.

About 4pm I go into the pub I am to meet my couch surf host, this frantic Italian girl but luckily I was  befriended by a  group of lesbians. Fell in love with two, one light skinned girl who reminded me of scary spice in her 20’s, she went to work and the other I coaxed to stay. At 22 and easy on the eyes, we had a mutual attraction though she wouldn’t admit it beyond if I were straight… The good was she didn’t ask me my age. From now on, at least until I am well beyond the point…I am 38. Past 40 is shoveling the last dirt upon my grave. Speaking of evolving, I am getting low on the 40+ packs of tobacco I picked up in Andorra, I will quit smoking when this is gone.

Smart girls don’t like men who smoke. 38 can last for 5 years maybe more.  We had good fun, then the folks at the next table started to talk to us and we drank the bar closed, they  picked up some wine, we went to their house. Lovely condo overlooking the beach of Galway. My girl was happy. Remember she is my lesbian love so we had a romantic night of sleeping next  to each other. The next day she surfed, I met her father. Me thinks he thinks I am a drug dealer. He just refused to belief that I can travel on savings as I do. I say I invested well, people seem not want to believe this so maybe I will change the story… won the lottery? Anywho lovely as she is, she said she will contact me once she has a gender preference change.

Next I went out to the country, I drink one day, two days off so this was a good hippy two days. Got back to nature. The cat is 70, has health issues but was in the record business in the 1970’s and good stories. His wife maybe 20 years younger growing her magic mushrooms out back in the spiritual garden. In the country is a wonderful place to smoke. He only drinks whiskey, she never touches alcohol and I... well I don’t like to mix anything. We watched Zeitgeist documentary about how Religion and America Banking system is systematically destroying the world.

Must say it is a great 2 part movie. All the shit you think may be true is spelled out. The thing that scares me is Fox/Glenn Beck with all the scare tactics and righteous bullshit isn’t that far off the mark in theory. Promoting hate and isolation is way off the mark, selling misconstrued views of American history and god are well off, but through this fear maybe parables can be referenced to recreate what is good.  At the end of the movie there a bit about the Venus Project, this is bull in my opinion. It is only possible if greed is not part of our innate nature. That is complete rubbish but more realistic would be to separate business from government. Have governments work on a moral compass based on human societal morals.

Both my host are artist and color fills every wall.

In Letterkenny I stayed with Brian, self proclaimed bad ass.  Married an American, went in the Marines and found his true calling. Half myth half legend, he is interesting to say the least. He is bald, heavily tattooed, owns a tattoo shop, makes his money by shocking his customers. Girls like the bad boy. We drank like men. Too days, too much drink. Brian is a helluva musician and wants to take it out of the kitchen into the pubs and halls across Europe.

I don’t know talent, but he has talent. It is so cool to know a few cords of a guitar. He is good to go as we said in the Army. Then around the whole north coast. Is it beautiful. I can’t say more beautiful than Kerry, maybe more beautiful. I then finished my trip in Belfast. Loved it! Great people, museums, the peace wall, just a great time. This is one city I could live in. I say this even though the brunettes are better in Dublin, Belfast has skimpier dressed blondes. And so is life. It is eye candy. Recently there has been more bombs, killings, but the city is coming out a long hibernation. The people have spunk about them. I’ve been told 10 yrs ago there would be no other color than white but the city is slowly being integrated.
Everyone is rejoicing as this is a sign of prosperity.

And back to UK, via ferry to Scotland. Glasgow is cool. Vintage shops are shit but there are maybe 10 or so. Antique shops and charity shops. My host Stephan and I made a day of walking the city. A really cool museum and staff here too. Tomorrow I will go to a car boot sale early in the morning and then to Edinburgh for a day. Make my way south from here.

Most funeral homes own a bar. Most churches sit across from a bar. A 25 year old boy died. No further details were given. The party was maybe 50 people ranging from 70 to teens. I felt out of place, having not known the dead guy- I’d like to think he was a victim.  The stage was set when I was told he was 25. Oh that is too young, how’d he die? I asked. A 55 year old man, a hard man, good build in the forearms, square jaw, hard lines, eyes darting to me to somewhere said, “I can’t really say but you have to be careful, walk into the wrong bar. (excitement) Now, if that doesn’t make you feel out of place!  I stood outside drinking my Guinness, what brought me to this particular bar is of course these young girls gathering and smoking, drinking in high heels, black skin tights, open neck line, bare shoulders, done  hair and an inappropriate amount of make up with fake tans.
The neighborhood was slightly run down, likely to be the place where girls get pregnant at 14. The likelyhood of anyone doing more school than the mandatory 16 is poor.  Middle of the day, 4pm., I figured this was the only bar to have 15 attainable young women.  After the first pint, there was a second and soon third. The company of the older guy was replaced by 5 maybe 8 young guys in their 20’s. I am starting to reach the age where I much rather have the company of a 50 yr old than a 25 yr old. All trying to talk to me, all at once, all with the hip hop big gestures, the guttural English that only passes for English due to the Irish accent I recognize. I discussed the finer points of traveling. We said our good byes. I went to meet my host.
In Ireland, John is one of many very good people. Reasonable, intelligent, funny, educated, healthy and no hope of finding a job. There are so many people out of work. There seems to be no hope of finding a job and as long as the government supports the people feel no necessity to find a job.  This is the state of the crisis in Ireland and now the welfare state as it may be called, isn’t  considered such. When everyone is “on the dole”, then where does personal pride stand? It is what it is. After awhile I imagine it is a way of social equality. If the governments were concerned with keeping score as in ‘winners and losers’ then I don’t see the benefits of numbing the culture. It is sad if we consider mans ability.
What great men were created from poverty. When there is no more hunger that drives him to accomplish to build, the laws such that he may not build then he becomes stretched to conform to existence as it is “doled out”.   John, my host told me there was “travelers at the bar around the corner” . I considered it but travelers I have heard at every stop. Never saw them, they blend well in the society, they are Irish minority protected class of gypsies.  All good fun, being American I am not worried about the shit between travelers and Irish. The stories I am sure have some basis in reality, but the one that circulates the most is some guy with a hot sister. He says, do you want to have sex with my sister? You answer yes (of course).

John and I went out later, first to a dead bar, then lightly happening bar, met  John’s  friend Sinead. She goes to the bathroom, John does the quick explanation… she has naked parties. Cool chick, makes no qualms about wild sex parties she holds. Seemingly she took interest in me and we went to a nightclub. I am not a nightclub guy but on a Tuesday, girls were lined up to the nines. Wearing as little as they could, breast coming out of their tops, skirts just covering their rumps, this nightclub thing could be fun. Sinead, may have saw my eyes diverting with every passing 18 yr old so like any good aging sex addict- she showed me her breast and I… the next day returned her scarf she left at the bar.

On to Galway, had fun. Towns in Ireland are in competition for the tidiest town. Everywhere is a Tidy town town, only Dublin is considered a proper city. All these towns are very livable but not much else for culture other than pubs. In Ireland the pubs close at midnight. In absence of culture one must drink. Met a cool American in the antique business, talked for a couple of days trading war stories.  Traveling is more about the people I meet the more I travel. One of my host once said she doesn’t want to travel a long time like I do cause it deadens one to the thrill of travel.

I think somewhat true, somewhat I am getting older, somewhat I think of retirement from travel when I decide it is time. I refine the dream everyday of my retirement plans, I am a slow worker, patience is a real virtue. Patience allows one to make fewer mistakes by making better decisions or so this is how I see it. Patience I hope one day will allow me to call myself a millionare without ever having to work a real job. A toast to patience, may he live long.  Back to the American, cool guy, laid back from NY or Virginia or somewhere in the east. He talked about how mundane the shop is, the future and politics. I about travel, politics and the future. It was a good 2 day conversation. First night, after he closed we had a drink together at the bar next to his shop.
The next day, he was given an envelope with a quote from a young man. Inside the envelope was a little brick of hash. God bless those who give. Before he asked he chopped me off alittle and handed it to me and said he had to run errands so that was the last time we met. Now I don’t condone drug use unless it is natural, life is tax free, and it makes the story more interesting. Certainly the circumstances match my three criteria.

From now on, at least until I am well beyond the point…I am 38. Past 40 is shoveling the last dirt upon my grave. Speaking of evolving, I am getting low on the 40+ packs of tobacco I picked up in Andorra, I will quit smoking when this is gone. Smart girls don’t like men who smoke. 38 can last for 5 years maybe more.  We had good fun, then the folks at the next table started to talk to us and we drank the bar closed, they  picked up some wine, we went to their house. Lovely condo overlooking the beach of Galway. My girl was happy. Remember she is my lesbian love so we had a romantic night of sleeping next  to each other. The next day she surfed, I met her father. Me thinks he thinks I am a drug dealer. He just refused to belief that I can travel on savings as I do.
I say I invested well, people seem not want to believe this so maybe I will change the story… won the lottery? Anywho lovely as she is, she said she will contact me once she has a gender preference change.  And so far on this trip I have heard I look like J. Dean, Brad Pitt from a distance- Tim Robbins, young Paul Newman, some English actor I don’t know.  Oh so odd but complementary I am sure.

He only drinks whiskey, she never touches alcohol and I... well I don’t like to mix anything. We watched Zeitgeist documentary about how Religion and America Banking system is systematically destroying the world. Must say it is a great 2 part movie. All the shit you think may be true is spelled out. The thing that scares me is Fox/Glenn Beck with all the scare tactics and righteous bullshit isn’t that far off the mark in theory. Promoting hate and isolation is way off the mark, selling misconstrued views of American history and god are well off, but through this fear maybe parables can be referenced to recreate what is good.  At the end of the movie there a bit about the Venus Project, this is bull in my opinion. It is only possible if greed is not part of our innate nature.

Both my host are artist and color fills every wall. Very enjoyable time.  I can’t possibly give as much as my host do but do what I can. I enjoy helping out around the house, taking an active role to show gratitude. Here I mowed the lawn and did alittle wiring. Took the coast over and up, went to Silver League- Europe’s tallest cliffs.

Girls like the bad boy. We drank like men. Too days, too much drink. Brian is a helluva musician and wants to take it out of the kitchen into the pubs and halls across Europe. I don’t know talent, but he has talent. It is so cool to know a few cords of a guitar. He is good to go as we said in the Army. Then around the whole north coast. Is it beautiful. I can’t say more beautiful than Kerry, maybe more beautiful. I then finished my trip in Belfast. Loved it! Great people, museums, the peace wall, just a great time. This is one city I could live in. I say this even though the brunettes are better in Dublin, Belfast has skimpier dressed blondes. And so is life. It is eye candy. Recently there has been more bombs, killings, but the city is coming out a long hibernation.
The people have spunk about them. I’ve been told 10 yrs ago there would be no other color than white but the city is slowly being integrated. Everyone is rejoicing as this is a sign of prosperity.

And back to UK, via ferry to Scotland. Glasgow is cool. Vintage shops are shit but there are maybe 10 or so. Antique shops and charity shops. My host Stephan and I made a day of walking the city. The second day was a day of shoveling horse manure. I call it balance. A really cool museum and staff here too. Tomorrow I will go to a car boot sale early in the morning and then to Edinburgh for a day. Make my way south from here.