Peak district climbing weekend

Hathersage Travel Blog

A couple of weeks ago (14/15 April) I had my first outdoor climbing experience. WOW! It was truly awesome. I did an indoor=outdoor course up in the peak district  with my three climbing buddies; we started climbing in November last year but until now �" mostly due to the crappiness of the English winters �"  had only been indoors, so this was a real biggie for us. It was better than I ever imagined. We had the best instructor we could have hoped for, Del, and to make a good thing even better, we had two perfect days of pure sunshine. Bliss.

We stayed in the cutest little village called Hathersage (in Hope Valley, Derbyshire), in the loveliest little bunkhouse on a working farm, for the very bargain sum of £10 a night. The stone bunkhouses were originally cow sheds and still smelt distinctly of cow poo, but I found that (weirdly?) rather comforting.

On the Saturday night we treated ourselves to dinner at a 'traditional inn' called The Scotman's Pack, and we were all blown away by how absolutely amazingly wonderfully delicious our meals were. So if you're ever in Hathersage I highly recommend seeking out this wonderful establishment.

I was unbelievably excited to be climbing routes that had proper names; I felt like a real climber!

On the Saturday we went to Burbage North and climbed:

§         Ashtree Wall

§         Ashtree Wall Direct

§         Knight's Move  (that was my most scary �" it all got too much for me and I started crying half way up  and then discovered when I heard a chorus of cheering, that during the 30 odd minutes I'd been climbing, a substantial audience had congregated  below to witness my epic struggle)

§         Hollyash Crack

And then on the Sunday we went to Stanage Plantation and climbed:

§         Paradise Wall

§         Wall End Slab �" This was definitely my best climb as it was the first one that I really managed to stay in control and keep the panic from setting in. On all of the others I'd been thinking I hate this, I want to go home, why am I doing this, what a stupid hobby…..and then I'd get to the top and have this incredible feeling of satisfaction and think wow, this is amazing, more more more! But this time �" sure, I was terrified �" but I totally managed to keep it under control and THAT was amazingly satisfying, even more so than actually getting to the top.