Edinburgh

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Have I ever loved a city like this? Only once before. I really connected with Edinburgh, I felt like I had come home in some sense. There's something about the city, it's picturesque, but it's not what I expected to feel when I went there. Certainly there are far more beautiful cities, but there's something about the mix of structured streets and crooked cobbled back alleys that make this place perfect for me.

There's the historic castle in the city centre, beautiful Prince's Gardens and the shopping and bars in the city centre - bars and pubs everywhere really! The city came alive during the August Festival month, it was amazing and I loved every second of it. The atmosphere was electric, and people there are friendly at the worst of times, let alone during Festival season!

Right near the city centre is Arthur's Seat, well worth a climb for the breathtaking 360 degree views, and the surrounding parks are pretty wilderness too.

I lived in Leith whilst there, and despite all the stories, the place is not as bad as it sounds. The infamous "Waters of Leith" are not quite as romantic as they sound, being a dirty blackish-brown, a little sluggish and filled with unidentified objects (probably best left that way). But I liked living there, it's convenient to the city and there's a rough character to it that feels more real and honest than a well-kept orderly street.

High Kirk of St Giles