seven foot tall hairy chested soldier

Honolulu Travel Blog

a taro mess.
I'm still in Hawaii and the amount of plastic is really getting to me.
Waikiki can be fun...but what i'm really looking forward to is our island tour on Tuesday.
We will finally be able to make it over to the North Shore and see a bit more of the island.

However, we did work on a taro farm Saturday. This was on the windward side of the island and up in the valley. We worked with a Hawaiian Practioner and as we took the 20minute walk up the mountain to the fields he continued to show us different plants we could use for different ailments. It was incredibly interesting.

Once at the fields we got VERY muddy pulling the weeds and the taro from the mud pits...where the taro grows. Taro is probably the food we will be eating the most once we get to Samoa.
It is a staple there.

Another thing that I really like about the Hawaiian culture is that there is a folk story to go along with a lot of the everyday actions they have. I love listening to them, I just wish I had similar stories to share from my own culture. However, I can't even remember Bible stories.

Today was our free day so I woke up early with a few other students and we headed to Waikiki to rent some boards and hit the surf. I was terrible...but oh well. Now I can say I've surfed in Hawaii. Right? We're going back out tomorrow after classes.

I'm really tired from the constant activities.
I'm sorry to keep this short. But all is well and I'm taking some incredible pictures, meeting some amazing people, and overall having a wonderful time. :)
view from land.