OceaniaSamoaApia

my own.

Apia Travel Blog

rugby: notice everyone letting me run a bit with the ball.
Once again I have very little time to make an update. I found an internet cafe that is open until 10pm because our computer lab at the school has shady internet connections that tend to only be connected once a week. However, Emma and I waited a good 40minutes before there was a free computer.

But alas, my research is complete and I have a few minutes to spare.

I'm starting to feel comfortable walking around Apia and I feel even more comfortable at USP. The campus is finally starting to feel like a campus. I know the people I pass everyday and I am being invited to join in on sports and teas and what not.

I learned how to play Rugby today. I was on the Samoan national television yesterday while we were at the Teiula Festival Cheering our USP friends on while they did their traditional dance. I learned how to sing a Samoan song that we will be performing at the village next week. And I met the Samoan student that I will be staying with this weekend.

I'm staying with Selma this weekend in her village. Her village is also hosting the Tongan Island Rugby team. So most likely we will be going to the Rugby game on Saturday. And of course, church on Sunday. Luckily her village is very close to campus so it will be easy to get there tomorrow afternoon.

I've been asked by a few people what a village is like. I'm not sure how to describe it...because each village is different. But there are about an average of 200-500 people in a village. However, the village I visited the other day only had 90. So it depends on where you are. But the villages consist of families with a maitai. The maitai is sort of like the chief of the village. Some villages have their own church and their schools...but some are so small that they are regionalized. The families tend to have 20 or so people living in a house. This includes the mother-father-grandfather-grandmother-ex
tended family...etc. Each hosue is very open with large room and no screens. Each house also has a fale that you can do a google search on. They are the little huts people tend to associate with the beaches here. However, they are what most Samoan families eat their meals in and lounge around in. This is because it is much cooler in the shade of the fales.

I wish I could explain more...however I am getting kicked out the internet cafe.

I love you all and I am really sorry for not being able to reply to everyone in their e-mails or LJ comments. I have also unfotunately been neglecting my friends page. So I am sorry that I have not had the time to see what is going on in your life. I feel really disconnected here from life in the US. We don't even get an international paper here. Our only source for news is the internet (which we rarely have time to browse) and the Australian Presses. So if anything HUGE happens to you, to your family, or to Drew...please let me know. Once again, I apologize for not being in better communications with all of you. But please know that I really appreciate anyone who is actually taking the time to read this.

Much love, Sieni.
rugby: notice everyone letting me …
rugby: notice everyone letting me…
Apia