los primeros pazos

Granada Travel Blog

where to sleep?
I´m in Granada now and I´m ready to give my plane ticket home away and stay here for a while. It is absolutely gorgeous and I am in love with the people, the culture and the wine. But more importantly I am able to spend a lot of time with my love, Christine.

I began my trip in Barcelona on Saturday evening. I arrived around 4.00pm and had my first adventure trying to find Terminal B (and my bags) in order to meet up with Christine who wasn´t arriving until 6.00pm. We met up despite the crowded terminal and made our way on the public bus to the heart of Barcelona to find lodging for the night.

One would assume that it would not be that difficult to find lodging for two in a city this large.
Walking Break
However, we didnt factor in that the futbol game between BARCELONA and MADRID was occuring on the same night...in Barcelona. Oops. So after trying to find a room or a bed or even a floor in over 20 different hotels and hostels...we decided to have a beer and a sandwich. Ha. We were so desperate we had even considered accepting a $400euro Suite in a 4 star hotel.

Over a beer and a toasted sandwich we got a text from Christine´s friend, Leah. She had a friend who owned a hostel about a 10 minute subway ride outside of where we were. We immediately jumped on the chance...despite the accomodations being a mat on the floor. It was glorious because the hostel was...Hostel Graffiti. Junior, a Brazilian guy, was the owner and the entire hostel was decorated in some pretty incredible graffiti.

After securing our accomodations for the evening we headed to a bar (still with our luggage). The bars were incredible packed so we ended up buying a 40 of beer and drank on the side of the streets with a perfect view of the Barcelona v. Madrid game. We got rowdy with the rest of the folk on the street and after the first half we headed to the area in which our hostel was and finished the game at a local bar with a group of Pakistani men and a few more beers.

It was a great way to start my trip. This is all i have time to write about today because Christine is waiting here and we have some shopping to accomplish. However, the 2nd day in Barcelona included TONS of Gaudi art, sangria at 4.00pm and tapas in the evening. Love it.
Bus to Granada