Traveling On: Ecuador 2007

Boston Travel Blog

Tomorrow morning I leave for the first leg of my journey. North Jersey.

I will be staying with my friend Christine and her family at their house in Bergen County. Wednesday morning they will drive me to the Newark Airport so I can catch my 10:45am flight to Quite, Ecuador. I will be in Ecuador until January 23rd. After that I will come back to Massachusetts for a few days and then its back to New Jersey for my final semester at Drew University. Its quite exciting to have this final study abroad experience.

This past semester has been so busy with Student Government, Classes and the NY Art Semester that I've had hardly anytime to mentally prepare myself for this trip. Even now as I'm packing up my Gregory I feel as though I'm not as ready for life in the rainforest as I think I am. It will certainly be a test.

I was reminded of a Jhumpa Lahiri quote this afternoon when I read my friend's AIM profile:

"While the astronauts, heroes forever, spend mere hours on the moon. I have remained in this new world for nearly 30 years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home & certainly not the first. Still, there are times I am BEWILDERED by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is BEYOND MY IMAGINATION." - Jhumpa Lahiri

I guess you can say that even though i'm not mentally prepared for this trip I am quite 'bewildered' with the adventure that lays before me.

And so I'm off...
(i'll be updating as regularly as internet access allows me to)
Boston