Casa Mojanda

Otavalo Travel Blog

A clear morning.
We´re at Casa Mojanda now and its absolutely beautiful. On the afternoon in which we arrived I immediately took the opportunity to do the 20 minute hike to this waterfall in the hills. I went with about 5 people and I was the first one ballsy enough to jump into the freezing cold water in my clothes. Ha. It was great and refreshing. Considering I had only taken one shower since my arrival in Ecuador. Yah, showers in the rainforest just aren´t that conventional.

I´m back in Otavala today checking e'mail and checking out the local market. Yesterday we had a tour of local villages. Basically it was an opportunity for the American Students to exploit the Ecuadorians by perpetuating the destruction of their culture through tourist demands. I have mixed feelings about this type of touring because while it does give them a short lived income...there is no long term stability in this type of econmoy. I talked to the tour guide at the end of the day about whether or not the actual families liked the fact that 20 students kept going in and out of family houses to watch them weave or create products that would be sold at the market I´m visiting today. He completely avoided my question and answered me by telling me how they rotate familes to give each family the same opportunity to make money AND that by buying the products we are appreciating their culture and helping them to keep it alive. I see both sides to this argument, however i´m still now sure where I stand. I didn´t buy anything yesterday.

I´m still sick. Real sick. But i´ve been fighting through it. My cough is still here and i´m still pooping liquid after ever meal. Sorry for the description. Its bad. I had to poop into a little dish to drop off at the pharmacy. Now i´m on a really strong anti-biotic to kill the amebas and all of their eggs in my belly and intestines.

Besides that i´ve been great. It hasn´t stopped me from going on the hikes and eating the food. I dont want to miss out on anything. So i just always carry toilet paper wherever I go. :)

Thats all for now.
Much love, Jen
fran2011 says:
Oh, and I also got sick the time I stayed there, lol...
Posted on: Jun 27, 2007
fran2011 says:
Hey!! I also stayed at Casa Mojanda... Wasn't it simply amazing? I especially liked the fireflies at night.
Posted on: Jun 27, 2007