Of water and Winchester

Kings Somborne Travel Blog

After leaving Penzance on Friday morning I had quite an exciting journey (although rather unnecessary excitement). In pursuit of cheap train fares, I'd booked a ticket from Penzance to Exeter where I had to wait for about an hour and then get on to the next train on the same line. So I got to Exeter without any worries, and was waiting in the station when I saw that my train had been cancelled, along with all others on the same line! It turns out there have been major floods all over England which have disrupted many train services, blocked off roads and damaged many houses. Luckily I was able to get on a packed train on another line (after waiting over an hour) that stopped at Salisbury - Louise and Andy, the friends I was coming to stay with, kindly picked me up from there instead. It was very hot and crowded but I was lucky enough to get a seat so it wasn't too bad, just very slow going (plus I got the details of some Nigerian guy who I was sitting next to, so maybe it wasn't a total waste!)

Louise and Andy are lovely people who have looked after me well, despite the fact that I have never met them before! (Louise is a friend of my aunt's). Today I explored nearby Winchester with Andy while Louise was busy - it is a lovely town with a huge amount of history. We went to the Great Hall where the Round Table is kept, and also spent a lot of time looking at the cathedral which has things ranging from Jane Austen's grave to an old 12 century bible. Also a fantastic library with carved wooden shelves, lots of huge old books, and some 17th century globes.

Off to London tomorrow evening to meet up with Hannah before we head off to Oslo on Monday.
dr_rett says: