Of pirates and pasties...

Penzance Travel Blog

Ok, I'm kind of cheating here cos I'm writing retrospectively, but I wanted to put in a Cornwall entry and didn't have internet access when I was actually there!

After leaving Exeter I got the train down to Cornwall - not because I have any friends/family there but because I'd always heard it was lovely down there and had read many books set in Cornwall that mentioned its rugged beauty etc etc. So I arrived expecting storms and shipwrecks and smugglers but found sunshine and holiday-goers! I've actually had quite good weather for most of my trip (must be following the sun!) I stayed 2 nights in Penzance which was a good base for exploring the area.

On the first afternoon after checking into my hostel I walked to Marazion and St Michael's Mount - an island that is actually linked to the mainland at low tide by a causeway (I was able to walk over there but had to catch a boat ride back). It has a castle on it that was previously a monastery, then a garrison, then a family home, and is now owned by the National Trust. It was very interesting to see, although it didn't take that long. There were also some nice gardens but they weren't fully open to explore that day. I also swear I saw Ralph Fiennes coming down the hill as I was going up - I smiled at him and he smiled at me, but it was so surreal that it took me a while to register that it was him!

The next day I hired a bike and rode from Penzance along the coast to Mousehole ("Mauzel") and then along some inland roads to Lands End where I tried a proper Cornish Pasty (I'd promised Jenny I would have one while I was in Cornwall). I kept riding up through St Just (a mining town) to Morvah and then back to Penzance via some ancient Cornish stone relics. It was a tiring day, especially as the gears on the bike weren't working well, and I had to walk up a fair few hills!
Penzance