University happenings

Oslo Travel Blog

This blog is well overdue for a new post, but it'll be pretty hard to cram in everything that's happened since I last wrote. However, I'll try to give a quick summary.

Since Stockholm (so long ago now!), Hannah, Georgie & I travelled to Karlstad (sunniest town in Sweden, where it rained for us!) and to Malmo (in the south), and finished up in Copenhagen (another country and yet another currency!) It was a good trip overall, although the overnight train from Karlstad to Malmo was not much fun. For one thing, we had to wait for 4 hrs in a town in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do before we got on the train at 12.20am. Then we just had normal seats which were really uncomfortable, and they didn't even turn down the lights! I hardly got any sleep and my neck and back were killing me the next day. Needless to say, the 3 of us were like zombies all day in Malmo, and went back to the hostel as soon as possible for a nap! Copenhagen had a great vibe, although it wasn't as pretty as some of the other cities. On the first day we walked all around and then the next day we went to some of the museums. We finished up our trip by watching The Simpsons Movie and going out for tea. Then we flew back to Oslo which was a much better move than trying to get the ferry like we'd originally planned. It also gave us the chance to get some duty free alcohol before arriving in Norway!

We've been in Oslo for a while now, and have made a great group of friends, particularly among the other international students. Of course it's mainly med people, but there are lots of international student activities organised by the uni which allow us to meet others as well. Most of us live at Sogn which is within walking distance of the hospital/med campus as well as the main uni campus. Our first couple of weeks have been a combination of o-week activities and boring admin things like trying to sort out bank accounts, study permits and mobile phones, as well as getting our rooms organised. We love Ikea!

Classes started last Monday and for the first 2 weeks we just have lectures, pracs & tutes. Then next week we will have clinicals on top of that, plus I start my Norwegian lessons! I also plan to do lots of extra-curricular activities, so I don't think I'll have much free time! It's strange going back to the lecture-style of learning. The Norwegians don't seem to have much clinical stuff compared to us - even the final year students.

Ok, almost done! We've recently had some nice weather (finally!) so yesterday a whole bunch of us went for a walk through the forest around Oslo. We caught the train to the end of the line and then walked around to Sognsvann, the lake just near us. It turned out to be a gorgeous day, and the scenery was just amazing. It was quite slow-going with such a big group of us, but it was a fun and sociable day :)

That's it from me for now. I'm going on a proper hike this weekend to the west of Norway (home of fjords and glaciers) so I'll give you an update after that!

stephenrosier says:
I'm glad you are doing proper study - so is Carmel
Posted on: Sep 10, 2007