AsiaJapanHakone

Hakone

Hakone Travel Blog

In retrospect, this day could have been put to better use, but what is done is done. Was addicted to the idea of seeing Mt Fuji up close so I elected to do a day of travel. I took the Shinkansen back up to Hakone and bought a Odakyu Fuji Day pass entitling me to unlimited use of all possible modes of transportation around the Hakone/Mt Fuji area. From the train station, I ended up on the Odakyu "Romance Car" train-- Romance for it's plush salmon-flesh colored seats complete with lace antimacassers. This led to another smaller train that switch-backed its way up the side of a mountain through a sea of hydrangeas in bloom. Beyond this was a cable car that rose along the side of the mountain, which led to a rope way station.
From the rope way station at the other end, one takes a bus back down to lake level to catch the last thing one would expect: the Louis d'Or-- piece of real life Disney. At this pass it became pointedly clear to me that I would not be Mt. Fuji that day--it was so cloudy I couldn't even see the other shore until we were out on the water. It is very hard to imagine that you can be at the foot of a mountain and not even be able to tell it is there, but apparently this sort of thing is common with Fuji. After the boat, it was a bus back to the main train station. After an hour I was starting to wonder whether I'd some how gotten on the wrong bus. It was worrisome because I was not entirely sure I would know what to pay if I had to-- it seemed there was a system based on distance being illustrated on a light board above the driver. I made my train by running and headed back south.

However, the day was not a total loss. The only other people foolish enough to attempt this endeavor on a cloudy day were a whole pack of Japanese senior citizens. This is my favorite demographic in any nation and it seems the feeling is mutual. Everyone was incredibly welcoming to me--asking me where I was from, how my trip was going, what I liked best thus far. Many of them had come to university in the United States (in the early 40's) but their english was still impecable. There was a general curiousity as to what I'd been taught about Japan in school... the specter of war is still there.
Hakone