Rain and Kunstmann

Valdivia Travel Blog

ANDREI - Our taste of the rain in Pucon was merely an introduction.  We rolled into Valdivia, on the Chilean coastlands, in the late afternoon on Saturday 10th June with high hopes.  A dry welcome, but we were roused from our sleep at Hostel Totem by the thunderous rain on the corrugated roof - Gordon & Cari, and Kerry & I had rooms at the top of the place.  Rain filled the whole of Sunday as we attempted to visit the Fort at Nieblas (the site of the Spanish´s attempts to tame the fierce, local Mupuche people.  It rained so much, that they let us in to the grounds free-of-charge, so we stayed for a bout 30 minutes before heading back ont he bus to the Kunstmann "brewery and museum".

Why are those words in speech marks?  Well, the brewery consisted of a few tanks behind the bar, visible through a glass wall, and the museum was a room the size of our bedroom in the hostel!  Thus, Gordon and I settled in at the restaurant-bar and worked our way through the menu of beers whilst drying our clothes off by sitting next to the radiators.  After a few beers, I had the cunning plan of taking my trousers off and sitting in my underwear next to the radiator where I left them to dry - Gordon shielded the other punters in the bar from my legs.  The things you do when you´re slightly drunk and impressionable!  You wouldn´t think that we were both 30!

We rounded proceedings off by ordering  a "columnar" of beer - 2.5 litres of beer in a glass column with a tap to deliver the beverage!  That cost us 5500 Chilean pesos - 5 pound 50!  Heaven!

Other notable activities in Valdivia were: (1) the boat trip on the rivers nearby and their confluence, to the area of land that shields Valdivia from the Pacific; (2) the fish market at Valdivia docks - huge, male seal lions loiter about for scraps, and I bought half a salmon for 1 pound 50 and fried it for lunch one day! ; (3) a trip to the nice cinema in the shopping centre to see "X-Men 3" - was very enjoyable, and the trailer for "Superman Returns" looks mighty fine, too!

Despite the weather, it was nice to get to Valdivia.  The people were friendly enough and the food was quite good.  A shame about the weather, but it is winter.  Kerry and I fancy returning to do the far South in their summer, as the snow makes things ather difficult the moment.  That about wraps it up for Chile, as we´re on the bus for Bariloche, Argentina, today.  Chile´s rather expensive for South America, so it was a bit of a shock coming here from Argentina (and Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia for that matter!).  At least, it felt like civilisation coming here, but it´s that much more developed here that it´s markedly different to those other countries and it´s given us a great amount of variety for the trip so far.
Valdivia