Miraflores - The upmarket part of Lima

Lima Travel Blog

[ANDREI] Contrary to our initial expectations, we were placed in a dormitory of 9 - the other 6 being various lads.  This proved mildly uncomfortable for Kerry and Nicola, since they were the only ladies, plus I was a tad worried about the security of our bags.  However, the union that is the backpacker trail seemed to prove that these lads were nothing to fear: Nathan and Shane from Tasmania, travelling with (William) Morgan, Steve and Greg from Reading (who had much advice from their time in Ecuador and other places), plus Adrian from Perth (Australia).

Shockingly, snoring was not an issue in our dorm (except from Nicola), and Nathan happily shared out his black rum and Coke to us as he prepared for night out on the town.  The girls were not impressed by his banter, but I'd class him in the same class as most Aussies I've met.
  He would fit in well as a trolley dolly for Emirates (Omar, fancy a bit of commision by head-hunting him..?). - actually, it's a cart aint it...?

That was the clientele at The Point - a tidy enough hostel with hot water.  Certainly a place I would recommend to others, especially since it has its own bar and pool table. However, the girls and I had no time to enjoy it since we are due to fly to Quito on the 30th.  In theory, Kerry and I should have flown into South America in that fair city instead of Lima since we are due to return at the end of April for a tour, but various other considerations too boring for you dear readers to worry about scuppered such a plan.

Therefore, all we saw of Lima earlier today was a walk to the Larcomar shopping centre in the upmarket Miraflores district.
  This is a mini version of Bluewater in the UK, but set into the cliff-side with many open-air areas - not your normal hangout for a backpacker.  However, it has a fantastic ice cream parlour - the equivalent of 6 Soles (1 pound 50) bought me a double cone that would cost 4 quid in Bluewater.  Nice.  And I was honour-bound to finish Nicola's ice cream when she ran out of space!  Chivalry is not dead amongst "backpackers".

The flight to Quito awaits us tomorrow, so an early departure (9am) from The Point is on the cards....  still not over the jet lag.  How will we cope with the 2800m altitude..?
photo by: rsvpme