Working in Rotterdam, NL

Rotterdam Travel Blog

For my company, a great amount of our European work is done out of the industrial city of Rotterdam, about an hour west and south of Amsterdam in Holland. To be quite honest, this city is not exactly a monument to great architecture as it was completely leveled (minus the city hall which still stands) during an immense bombing campaign by the Germans during WWII. Regardless, it is full of shopping and is very modern.

I typically stay at the Westin Rotterdam, directly across the street from the currently under renovation Rotterdam Centraal train station. I must say, this is quite possibly one of the windiest corners of the entire European continent, one morning we were pelted with sleet (in May!!!) and 45+ mph winds.

A few good restaurants are available in town, one of them called Boudewijn, a Belgian restaurant several blocks from the hotel. Another, the name escapes me, is fantastic and I will have to look it up next time I travel there.

The thing that stands out about Rotterdam is its bustling port, one of the busiest (if not the busiest) port in the world. An interesting bridge spans the channel, with a very asymmetric style build. The city really reminds me of Houston, Texas, not a great place to visit if you are looking for tourism but fair enough if you are just working there. So, my Dutch for today - Ik houd van Rotterdam (I love Rotterdam). Haha... not really.
samsmith_ndt says:
Hope you enjoyed your stay; there's plenty to be said for Rotterdam - many of my Dutch colleagues prefer it to Amsterdam for a 'proper' night out.
One thing you must do in Rotterdam is to take one of the river taxis (essentially a speedboat) between pubs. With a little encouragement the pilot will open it up and whizz you across the river to your next destination. You feel a little like james bond stepping lightly up the gangplank and onto your next bar...
Posted on: Jun 26, 2007