Most exciting day on the road so far - part 2

Kit Carson Travel Blog

storm on the horizon

Liz and I got back on the road and had about 200 more miles to go.  I started to look like it was going to rain on the horizion.  Becasue we were on the plain we could see for miles and the storm clouds looked really cool in the distance.  I wans't sure what the weather was going to do and we just pass the Colorado boarder, so I decided to pull into a welcome station and look for a map and some information.  When I pulled in we noticed that there were a lot of other travelers pulling into the rest stop too.

I didn't really think much of it, other than that maybe they were going to use the bathroom and get off the road until the rain let up.  When we got inside there was a lady crying and sort of freaking out.  The people that ran the information center were looking at storm cells moving right over interstate 70 on the computer.

Colorado, USA
...THERE WAS A TORNADO COMING!  It was pure luck that we pulled into the rest stop.  We didn't hear anything over the radio becuase we'd been listening to my i-pod.

The first storm passed over and was pretty intense.  There was definatly some swirling action.  The flowers and trees out front were losing leaves and there was really heavy rain.  We waited for about 45 mins. until one of the people said that it'd probably be ok to leave.  We sped all the way to Denver looking to tornados in the mirrors.  I felt like a corny tourist...taking pictures of the storm, the danger increasing every second...it was really just luck that I pulled into the rest stop.

When I called and told my mom in Hawai'i that I had just been in a tornado, she laughed and said she was drinking a mai tai under a palm tree at the pool.

during the tornado