Day 4 -Nearly there!!!!!

Christchurch Travel Blog

After 3 long and frustrating flights (as by this time I was simply so excited and full of anxiety about our impending road trip). we arrived in Christchurch, my second visit to this very English location on the south Island.  To be honest, i was completely un-interested in spending anytime here, so we quickly contacted the hire car company so we could commence our mammoth journey to Queenstown...we were hoping the journey would take us no more than 5 hours, which I think we managed....and thankfully arrived at my friends house in Melbourne Street at around half 8 in the evening....neva have i been so pleased of a cup of brew and an extra long rollie!!!!

Our route took us down through Chrischurch towards Ashburton, then Geraldine and Fairlie,  and then on to Lake Tekapo.  Here we stopped to fully enjoy the last of the winter daylight and our first stop to gawp in absolute awe at the draw-dropping mountainous scene that was growing feircer and feircer, with every mile driven in Queenstowns direction.  This was the point in fact when I exploded with excitement.  All of a sudden it was about the journey just as much, if not more, than the destination itself.  It was the moment when I allowed myself to relax for a moment knowing that my first soley organised trip had been worth all the chaos and frustration.  Looking across that lake at the mountains, I was on top of the world!

photo by: Fulla