Day 12 - Hokitika

Hokitika Travel Blog

We woke on our penultimate day surprisingly early, and decided to head up to Greymouth to find some breakfast.  Greymouth was a relitively pleasent town on the ocean,  though it had an unwelcoming industrial feel to the place.  Despite that, Breakie was top class, and now we were ready to continue our last day of road trippage!  The plan was to come of route 6 and join 73 which would take us right through the centre of the island bringing us out on the other side at Christchurch

We made it into Kumara quite quickly, and managed to drive on past the town and indeed the last petrol garage.  Luckily we realised our mistake in time and sensibily drove back to re-fuel the hire car.  As it turned out we didnt seen another car or petrol garage for about 3 hours....another lucky escape!   Route 73 leds you directly through Arthurs Pass National Park, another spectacular drive through a dense, mountainous track again filled with awesome sights and scenary.  It was named after Sir Arthur Dudley Dobson, a man who first led the Europeans through the pass from the west to the east coast around the same time that the west coast was hit by a huge gold rush around 1865.  There is supposedly a place called The Devils PunchBowl Falls within walking distance of the township of Arthurs Pass, another magnificent waterfall which looks fantastic, but sadly I didnt have time to explore.

We made it to Christchurch in good time after our journey across the island, and after circling the city for over an hour, we found a suitable motel (one with a spa!) to stay in for our last night.  I think I spent the entire night in the Hot Tub, until wrinkled beyond humanity...trying to convince myself that having to go back to England was a good thing....I just couldnt think of a reason why!

photo by: Vanessa_Mun_Yee