First Port: Ketchikan

Ketchikan Travel Blog

Our welcome to Alaska occurred in Ketchikan which is a wonderful small city to explore on foot.  A tunnel not far from where our ship docked divided the city into two areas, and we had the chance to see both.  First, we headed right (which may have been south).  This is the touristy side.  The shops are here including Diamonds International where we started our free charm bracelets to which we have added charms in about five ports now.  The women in the family also picked up tanzanite stud earrings for $5 apiece and used our vouchers for free sapphires (Mom and I had ours set to be necklaces, Megan chose a ring).  The attractions are here too.  We visited an old church (small but beautiful), saw totem poles, wandered through what was once a red light district (now a bunch of shops) and watched kayakers make their way down the stream that cuts this district in half, stood by the creek, located salmon ladders (not sure of their real name but these are wood structures built into small waterfalls to help the salmon head upstream when nature calls), and wound our way up a hill to a lodge and overlook of Ketchikan.

totem pole
  Later we went through the tunnel and found the part of the city where people actually live and work.  Not quite as interesting although I was fascinated by the streets that were just narrow wooden boardwalks not wide enough for vehicles.

My other major memory of Ketchikan was the seaplanes coming in.  I had never really seen a seaplane before.

That evening back on the ship my dad, sister, and I went swimming in the indoor pool.  It was so warm, and we still went and sat in the hot tub for a little bit!  Later my parents and I went up to the Horizon Court for a late snack while my sister slept.  The tea was a nice way to end the day.
skimonty83 says:
I love the small boardwalks in that part of Alaska. Never been to Ketchikan but I know people love it. With the Native and Russian influences.
Posted on: Jan 10, 2010