Food Poisoning!

Vancouver Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 4 › view all entries
We drove our shiny neon blue rental car north to Vancouver. Angie slept for most of the way and missed all the beautiful, stunning scenery. Actually, the drive from Seattle to Vancouver was a lot less scenic than I had remembered, consisting of wide, treeless streches of land with patches of boat junkyards, and if I didn't have to drive I probably would have slept too. At the border we were grilled by an unhappy looking aspiring criminal prosecutor - " What's your job? Where are you from? How long are you staying in Vancouver for? SO, YOU'RE UNEMPLOYED AND YOU DROVE 1000 MILES FROM CALIFORNIA TO SPEND ONLY 2 DAYS IN VANCOUVER, EH?" - but after I convinced him that we flew into Seattle, that it was a rental car, and that we weren't convicted felons he finally let us through.

I had been to Vancouver before the previous summer and had eaten at a restaurant called Tojo's, where I had experienced the best sushi and sashimi of my life. For an entire year Angie had to put up with my "hmmm, this Japanese food isn't bad, but it sure isn't Tojo's!" and now she would finally get her chance to try it out and shut me up. We went there again and were served five courses of mouth-watering deliciousness and the food was even better than I had remembered. After dinner, we drove up to the top of Mt. Cypress, a huge mountain north of the city. The view of the city was nice, but it was also freezing cold and we were afraid we might get attacked by wild animals, so we headed back to the hostel to get some sleep.

The next thing I remember was waking up shivering at 1:30 in the morning. I don't know how to describe the feeling, but something about my body just felt wrong and I felt very weak. My leg started shivering uncontrollably and my jaw would clamp down involuntarily, so much so that I put a small book between my teeth to prevent myself from accidently biting my tongue. After a little deliberation, we decided it would be best if I was rushed to the nearest hospital. I will spare the gory details of the next 9 hours in the ER, but let's just say it consisted of 4 liters of IV, 1 dose of anti-biotics, 3 doses of anti-nausea medication (oddly enough, named "Gravel"), 2 doses of anti-spasm medication, projectile physics, delirious rambling, and a diagnosis of "wow, yea, most people who come in here with food poisoning are fine after an hour or two, but your case is more severe!" It was the weakest I have ever felt in my life. I'm glad Angie was there with me because if I had been alone I'm sure the experience would have been a lot more terrifying.
jaeden says:
Do they not have Gravel in the states??
Posted on: Mar 12, 2009
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Vancouver Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
 Despite getting a horrible case of food poisoning from the second time I went here (if you're interested in the fun details check out the journa… read entire review
photo by: Browser