A Messy Ride to the Airport

Berkeley Travel Blog

This entry is a bit of a digression, but it is important nonetheless because it deals with a dangerous and disturbing trend that threatens to destroy civilized culture as we know it: killer coffee lids. Angie and I had a ridiculously early flight from Oakland to Seattle, and I needed a morning cup of coffee to jolt my sleep-deprived state into something close to human. My coffee cup friend was being quite respectful until I crouched to sit in the car, whereupon it spewed forth half of its contents through the impossibly small one-centimeter slit on the coffee lid and onto my pants. I don't know how such a large quantity of liquid can get through such a tiny hole so quickly. Since my understanding of hydrodynamics is rough to non-existent, the only possible explanation I can come up with is that some sadistic coffee lid designer somewhere, hands trembling from one cappucino too many, has made it his sole purpose in life to scald as many people as possible.

After running back into the house and putting on a new pair of jeans, I slowly and carefully got back into the car, cradling the coffee cup like an ill-tempered infant that I was worried might explode at any minute. Then, sure enough, the first slight bump we drove over caused the cup to spit all over my lap again, and from some dimly-lit basement I heard a maniacal cackle.
readparse says:
Well at least you didn't sue anybody over it. My sympathies, though.
Posted on: Mar 17, 2006
angie says:
A very Bryson-esque entry!
Posted on: Nov 06, 2005