Real China & New China

Shanghai Travel Blog

Just got back from a business trip on Sunday; a 10-day journey covered a few cities in China. I was once an Anti-China person; because the odd political issues in between Taiwan and China. Now I get excited about visiting this one of the most blooming countries in the world.
7:30pm in Zhong Shan (About hour and half from Hong Kong), the driver dropped me off at the hotel; I rushed into my room and got myself ready with comfy polo shirt, jeans and flip flops for an adventure. Though I am not with blonde hair and blue eyes, the local people knew I don’t belong to there. Looks of wonder in their eyes; curious why a non-local girl would dare to walk on the street by herself? (Note: My colleagues said I was crazy after they found out I walked one hour on the street by myself; a lady was rapped and killed a few months ago).
My parents told me they had to watch TV at someone's house when they were kids; and it was about 40 years ago. I was never able to picture it, because the average of two TVs in each Taiwanese family now. I passed by an electronic shop where had a TV outside showing an old American movie; it was surrounded by more than 20 people. Back to my hotel, I had a hugeous room; comes with separate living room, bedroom and two flat-screen TVs. The room was too big for me; I had to leave the lights on in the living room all night long. Compared to those people outside of electronic shop, I appreciate the life quality I have.
4pm in Weifang (A growing city about 2 hours away from Qing Dao); we were on the way back to Qing Dao (Familiar? Qing Dao Beer!) for next flight to Shanghai. At the gas station, I grabbed my comfy clothes heading toward to the toilets. Our supplier Vivian ran after me and said it is very dirty and I would need her help???!!! (I was wondering? For toilets? She thought I was a 4-year old kid or what?)
As soon as I walked into the toilets, I WAS MUM. There ARE NO DOORS!!! No proper toilets! It’s just A LONG DITCH with two short concrete walls divided it into “ 3 toilets ”; there was no flushing system, very dirty and smelly. I could turn around and leave, but I told myself “ In Weifang, you do what local people do “. (Note: I wish I had my camera with me. I took two pics of our supplier’s toilets, but it’s an upgraded version; has the doors and nicer).
5am in Shanghai City; though I’ve been to Shanghai twice and I could see the Oriental Pearl Tower from my hotel room, I wanted to get closer to it. Amazed by all the early birds in all age ranges, everyone had already started the day by exercising with their friends; some Gong Fu, dancing or jogging in the city. Standing in the pond area overlooking the Oriental Pearl Tower, I felt the power of China. A country which will be continuing to grow up more and becoming one of most powerful countries like how it was in many centuries ago.
From this China trip, I got the chance exploring more about it. To me, Shanghai and Beijing are not real China; too many foreign influences. But I guess Chris is right, Shanghai and Beijing are also real China; NEW & REAL CHINA WITH THE COMBINATION OF EAST AND WEST. (Chris knows better as he has been living in Shanghai more than 2 years).
But if you had time and money, I would like to encourage you to try other cities than Beijing and Shanghai; experience some places with only little influences by westerners.
I’ve downloaded my China trip pics on my webshots account, you may please click and look for China Trip.
1,027 km (638 miles) traveled