At the Vatican

Vatican City Travel Blog

Entrance to the Vatican
So we finally arrive in Rome and find our Hotel.  There is not exactly an abundance of rooms available due to the Funeral for the late Pope John Paul, in fact there are a ton of people sleeping on the sidewalks.  We were lucky to find a little B&B outside the city.  Cost for a cab downtown is only about 20 Euro, so between the 5 of us, its no big deal.  Our first stop is the Vatican.  Not supprisingly the line to get in is wrapped pretty much around all of Rome itself.  We finally find one short enough so we can get in and decide that we want to see some of the art and artifacts that the Vatican holds.  I know my mom would love to be able to see all of this, so I make sure to get tons of pictures for her.
One of the art pieces
  Some of the art reminds me of what Ive seen in the Louve in Paris, some is stuff Ive seen only in text books and art books, and then theres some that Ive never heard of or seen before.  The room that holds the woven art is absolutly amazing.  A lot of them depict the last supper, or some scene with Jesus and his Disciples (big surprise being that its in the vatican).  The art on the ceiling and the walls is just as impressive it not more so.  Famous artist like DeVinci, Leonardo, Raphael put their own personal touches on this place.  Truly awesome, just hope my mom gets a chance to see it all one day.  We manage to make our way outside to the main court yard where thousands of people are.  There is no chance to get close or to begin to understand what all is being said so we wonder around and see what we can before we have to leave.  If this was to be the first of many good days in Rome, we all knew we would leave with happy memories.
Last Supper Woven into cloth