Life is a Highway...

Vancouver Travel Blog

The original plan for this summer was to go to Russia and Asia... a whirlwind ride of far off places that would force me to leave behind Vancouver and Canada to explore these new exotic places that were calling my name.  I did research, rounded up some interested friends, then took a moment and realized what I was leaving behind. Was Canada really so unoriginal and boring that I'd have to fly to the other side of the world to experience something new? I've lived in BC all my life and traveled pretty extensively throughout the province, but although my dad was born in Saskatchewan, I'd never set foot there or any other prairie province. I'd been to Toronto and Ottawa, but had never really seen it without my dad's "go go go" technique of seeing a city when I was younger. We made a family trip to the maritimes when I was small, but the only memory I have is a clouded one of a lobster dinner in a church basement on Prince Edward Island. I decided then and there that my own country would be more than simply faded childhood memories of the past. Before I started jetsetting around the world, I wanted to get to know Canada a little better, so when people asked me about it, I'd have something to say.

Fortunately, I had a friend with a similar outlook. We put our heads together and discussed the best way to see the country. That was easy: by car. Trains were an option, and the ride across the country is supposed to be one of the most amazing train rides in the world, however, cars will give us better access to rural areas and get us around the cities.

So that was that. We had made lists of things to do and places to see for months, we'd talked to friends who had been to and lived in different places, we'd booked some hotels and set a budget, and we were ready to go, for 5 weeks, from Vancouver to Halifax, and back to Toronto.
maplefanta says:
That's a great journey plan!
Posted on: Jul 27, 2007