Paddy's Day

Limerick Travel Blog

This year St. Patrick's Day was even more special because the National Lottery's Skyfest was being held here in Limerick. For anyone outside of Ireland, this is the country biggest fireworks display, put on in a different city each year the Saturday before Paddy's Day. 2010 was our turn! We turned up early to get a prime spot across from King John's Castle, were the fireworks were being launched from. Quite a few photographers had there tripods all set up in a row beside us, so we knew it was the best viewing point. As twilight faded and the sky turned into a perfect black backdrop, the show began. It was kinda hard to get good shots - I hadn't brought a tripod, but I managed to get a few ok pics of the night. The choice of music was excellent from Owl City to Snow Patrol.
..an absolutely fab way to kick off the Celebrations!

Now, it's a tradition at this point for it to rain on Paddy's Day. Every year on March 17th, around 11am and 3pm the skies open up to soak the parade watchers to the bone. It's as if St. Patrick himself waits for us to line O' Connell Street, before he starts pelting us with raindrops. Even so, we all stay there and we all complain that next year we'll stay home - but we won't.  The parade this year was being lead by Keith Earls - one of the best rugby players on the Munster team. He stopped off at the viewing stand to present a rugby ball to the Mayor. Then, there was the usual string of soldiers, tanks, navy guys...followed by local scouts, girl guides, drama clubs and ethnic groups, all advertising their presence amongst us.  Some of them hurled lolly-pops at the crowds, other gave out t- shirts, mini rugby balls - my mother even got a pack of dusters (!!) handed to her.

I was surprised to see a banner coming towards me, saying "Limerick's Bangladeshi Community" - I didn't know we had anyone from Bangladesh in Limerick, let alone a "Community".

The parade dragged on for two and a half hours, then we all filtered back out of the city to enjoy our patriotic dinners including as much green, white and orange food as possible, not forgetting the Green Jelly for dessert.
wilber85 says:
It sounds great, I would love to celebrate paddy's day in Ireland!!!
Posted on: Apr 01, 2010