Arrived at 5.30 and needed a bed

Dubai Travel Blog

The design features are awesome - this is RTA's new HeadQuarter

I was pretty fresh when I landed and I couldn’t wait to get started. The plane had flown pretty fast and we landed more than one hour before schedule which pleased me. I had hoped to get some sleep on the way down but as usual I am not a good sleeper on a plane so I had not managed to close one eye, but I had managed to see two movies.

When the plane landed I was amazed how much driving on the tarmac that we had to do; it gave me an impression that it was a enormous airport that we had landed in. We left the plane and I found out that we had the gate which was the furthest away from the arrival area. We had to walk on endless rolling pavements before arriving at the passport control.

The control went pretty easy because they had a huge number of control gates; all of them having an employee  in traditional clothing, I had landed the right place.

They are still building everywhere
After passing the passport contol area without any remarks and a new stamp in my passport I entered the tax free area which was huge and did I know then what I know today I would have bought a 6-pack of beers before leaving, just to have a cold beer at the hotel at the end of the day.

I had rented a car at Hertz but I was there more than one hour too early so my car was not ready. I had booked a small SUV from Honda because I had planned to drive some dusty roads in Oman during my short stay. All the car rentals were situated in arrival area and there were loads of local vendors, all of them occupying a small booth.

The guy handling my case was a Brit, and he was pretty fast even though his computer system didn’t work as it should.

Huge building and wild design in Umm Ramool near Dubai airport
He told me that my car wouldn’t be ready before 1½ hour but if I wanted to leave right away I could get a Toyota Camry and then come back and change it later that day. Not having slept I asked if I couldn’t keep the Camry for the whole period, which turned out to not be a problem.

I told him about my plans to visit Oman and he gave me an insurance paper that I had to show at the border control. I asked if I could have a GPS but it was not possible; they were all out. I finished my paperwork and one of the other guys followed me to the parking lot which was situated some 500 meters away from the booth.

The car was okay and I asked him for direction of my hotel and said goodbye. The drive towards the hotel didn’t take that long but it was symptomatic for the coming drive in Dubai; you have to get used to that you can’t drive directly towards your aim.

I had expected many mosques than I actually saw - this is Rashidiya Masjid
You have to drive back and forth a lot before you reach your goal.

I managed to be at the hotel, which was the Holiday Inn Airport Express a little after 7.30 AM local time and I had hoped that I just could walk in and get my room. I parked the car under the hotel and went up to the reception. I had booked a room from the day before because my plan was just check-in in the morning and sleep for 5 hours to get into the local rhythm. Much to my surprise it took some time to get my room ready.

According to the guy in the reception it had been a horrible night in the hotel; I believed him, there were people sleeping everywhere in the all the chairs and sofas in the lobby. Besides the sleeping people there were loads of beautiful women constantly entering hotel; because Emirates Airline had a stewardess hiring going on the fifth floor; at least I found that a bit more interesting than all the sleeping tourists waiting to get their room.

The minaret of Rashidiya Masjid

I had to wait around 30 minutes before I had a room but when I went up there the key didn’t fit and there was a do not disturb sign on the door, so I had to go back to the reception. Back in the reception I received a new room and went back upstairs. I was quite surprised how big the hotel was because there were loads of rooms and it didn’t look that huge from the outside.

My new room was a nice size but it didn’t smell like all it users had respected to no smoking policy but at this point I couldn’t care anymore. I had not eaten anything in the plane so I decided that I wanted to have a light breakfast before I went to sleep.

The breakfast area was full of people getting ready to leave for work, but I managed to find a table and dig in to the vegetable table, get some bread and have loads of plastic juice.

The Rashidiya Masjid
Soon after I was back in my room and ready to sleep. The bed was great and the curtains were able to make the room completely black, which I was really happy for.

I had made a deal with the reception that I could have the room until 2 PM so I was able to get almost 5½ hours of sleep before I checked out again. I had a quick shower and a shave and then I was back in the reception in order to check out. The hotel rate had been quite fair but I had missed that I had to pay 20 percent on top of the prise in local tax. I went down to my car in the basement and was now ready for the next step on my journey; finding my hotel for the coming 3 nights.

It was almost 2 PM when I left the parking garage and ready to drive into Dubai. The hotel had been a good airport hotel but it had been extremely busy but there were also some fairs in the city I was told.

Welcome to UAE

I just took the first road to the right and had my eyes fix on some very tall buildings; one of the being my hotel; Rose Rayhaan by Rotana, supposedly the world's tallest hotel soaring 333 metres and 72 floors. It didn’t take me long to get lost because as I had found out earlier in the morning it was never possible to drive directly towards a visual point.

It didn’t take me long before I found myself on the motorway towards Abu Dhabi which absolutely was nothing I wanted to do. Luckily there came an exit towards Dubai and I had the wonderful luck to see the skyline of Dubai from a parking area of Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary which I was passing.

Large new building near the airport - this is the tallest in the area
The view was stunning and I was able to see my hotel among the high rises.

Being able to see the hotel gave me hope but it didn’t make me have a success in getting there fast. It took me quite some time more before I found myself at a parking lot next to enormous Sheikh Zayed Road where my hotel was situated. Unfortunately it was on a parking on the wrong side of the road and it was not the easiest exercise to cross this mammoth of a road.

After some tries I finally arrived at the Rose Rayhaan by Rotana and a big smile came probably across my face. I drove my car up in front of the hotel and a parking guy opened my door and asked how he could help. He managed quickly a bellboy for the suitcase and he would park the car for me if I gave him the key.

First view of Dubai skyline

Besides being the tallest hotel in the world the hotel looked like a glass rocket. The build was tall but not that huge in ground surface. I would guess something like 50 meters times 50 meters. Inside it was busy but calm. There was a small café in the corner to the left and a concierge straight ahead and the reception to the right.

I was greeted by a friendly guy in the reception; I would guess he was Pakistan by the sound of his English. He quickly found my reservation and found me a room of the 17th floor. I had hoped to get a room higher up but I was also keen on getting out and look at the city; it was already getting close to 3.30 PM and I hadn’t seen anything yet.

The bellboy took my luggage up to the room and made sure that I had the big tour in my room.

Ras Al Khor Wildlife Santuary
The room was nice and large; it was a corner room with windows towards Sheikh Zayed Road. There was a huge king size bed which was nice and hard. There was a huge desk and some chairs with a table. The room had also a full kitchen with fridge and freezer, oven and stove, nice closets too. The bathroom had a nice size as well. I tipped the bellboy and thanked him for the tour that he made me follow in the room.

I was really pleased and I took a cold drink in the fridge and stated to unpack. The room was kept in dark and soft colours and there was a nice balance to it.

After I unpacked I went down to the ground floor not having made up my mind on what to do. I stepped out of the hotel and the taxi manager asked me if I wanted a taxi and I just said yes because I would just go out without having to think about the car.

Ras Al Khor Wildlife Santuary

A limo taxi drove up; I had heard that they would cost a bit more than a regular taxi but I didn’t mind that much. I told him that I wanted to start at the Dubai Mall because I had no idea of what I wanted to do. He asked me if he should drive me by some sights. I thought about for a second or less and said okay do that, because it would save me for looking for all these sights.

It turned out that he spoke good English and that he was from Punjab in Pakistan. He had been driving taxi in Dubai for 4 years and he drove 14-15 hours a day for 10 months straight. He didn’t have weekends and after the 10 months he went home to Punjab for 2 months.

He started by taking me to The Burj Al Arab which probably right now is the most well known landmark of Dubai but now being heavily pressed as a landmark by the new Burj Khalifa.

Ras Al Khor Wildlife Santuary

He started by taking me to the beach next to the hotel and after that we went to the front entrance. I never managed to get in to the hotel; mainly because of lack of time

The Burj Al Arab, which means Tower of the Arabs is a fabulous luxury hotel and with its height of 321 m, it is the fourth tallest hotel in the world. The Burj Al Arab stands on an artificial island 280 m out from Jumeirah beach, and is connected to the mainland by a private curving bridge from where I took some pictures.

It is an iconic structure whose shape mimics the sail of a ship which make all of remember it. Construction of Burj Al Arab began in 1994. It was built to resemble the sail of a dhow, a type of Arabian vessel.

Burj Khalifa from the distance
Two "wings" spread in a V to form a vast "mast", while the space between them is enclosed in a massive atrium.

The hotel is managed by the Jumeirah Group. Despite its size, the Burj Al Arab holds only 28 double-story floors which accommodate 202 bedroom suites. The smallest suite occupies an area of 169 m2, the largest covers 780 m2.

After having visited this beauty my driver proposed that we visited the nearby Hotel Al Qasr also called the jewel of Madinat Jumeirah. Al Qasr means 'The Palace' and is the centre-piece of Madinat Jumeirah and is designed to reflect a Sheikh’s summer residence.

We approached the hotel via a tree-lined avenue, centred with sculpted Arabian horses. The entrance was magnificent; a beautiful building covered with palms and lakes.

Burj Khalifa from the distance
Next to the entrance a car park worthy of a sheikh was giving extra glamour to the place. Al Qasr was close to breathtaking. The driver let me off at the entrance and I entered the hotel where gold and chandeliers were shinning and reminding me that I had entered a place way beyond my price league.

I strolled around for a while looking at the beauty before I left again for the outer world of this magnificent hotel. The hotel has in total 292 larger than average rooms and suites; which mean that they are minimum 55 sq. metres; the largest suite is 550 sq. metres. Each room or suite is decorated in traditional Arabic themes and all rooms are with private balconies.

Next goal on our trip was a visit to one of the palm islands. There are several by the only one that is completed is the one with the humongous Hotel Atlantis at the end of the Island.

Small bird running after the cars
I must confess that I had not imagined the size of this artificial settlement in the water. The sheer magnitude was totally impressive and the ending up at the hotel after having driven trough a huge tunnel just made me reflect about all the money that was thrown in a project like time; it was totally insane.

The area in front of the Hotel Atlantis was totally crowded so I decided to pass on getting into the hotel and there asked the taxi driver to go for the next sight. We decided to go to the new high rise complex that they were building at the lakes. Most of these high rises were started as projects much earlier but the crises had put them on hold but they had started again lately.

After a long drive-by in that neighbourhood I decided it was time to visit Dubai Mall that was not situated that far from my hotel and say goodbye to my Punjab driver.

Bur Dubai Skyline

The Dubai Mall can be a very expensive place to visit if your wallet hangs loose and paradise if you are a brand freak. The shopping mall is the region's premier luxury shopping place and is also a lifestyle and entertainment destination for many visitors.

The mall has more than 1,200 stores so be prepared to be confused; the huge mall even hosts some pretty amazing attractions like an ice-skating rink and a world class aquarium. I was not in there for anything but looking at the extravaganza and the extreme decadence.

I was amazed of the size and that any brand I was thinking about almost was represented there. The Dubai Mall is the world's largest shopping mall based on total area and sixth largest by gross leasable area. It is part of the 20-billion-dollar Burj Khalifa complex, and includes 1,200 shops in the 350,000 m2.

Bur Dubai Skyline

Twice delayed, Dubai Mall opened on November 4, 2008, with about 600 retailers, marking the world's largest-ever mall opening in retail history. However it is not the largest in gross leasable space, and is surpassed in that category by several malls including the South China Mall, which is the world's largest, Golden Resources Mall, SM City North Edsa, and SM Mall of Asia.

The Dubai Mall has recorded a visitor turn-out of more than 60,000 tickets sold for the Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre in the first five days, following its opening. The Dubai Mall hosted over 37 million visitors in its first year of operation, and attracts more than 750,000 visitors every week.

The mall also hosts a 250-room luxury hotel, 22 cinema screens plus 120 restaurants and cafes.

Bur Dubai Skyline
The Mall has over 14,000 parking spaces across 3 car parks, with valet services and a car locator ticketing system.

I felt that I walked there without reaching anything and I therefore decided to walk through it in order to find the Dubai Fountains. I was not aware about the Dubai Fountain before taxi driver kept on talking about them for long time. It turned out that the Dubai Fountain is a record-setting choreographed fountain system set on the 30-acre manmade Burj Khalifa Lake, at the centre of the Downtown Dubai.

I actually had misunderstood his Punjab English and I was walking around looking for a fountain that played music when hell broke loose on the lake next to where I was standing.

The Dubai Fountain consists of many high-pressure water jets and shooters.

Bur Dubai Skyline
The water robots can make the water look like it is dancing and the shooters which shoot water upwards. The super shooters shoot water under more pressure up to 240 feet in the air, and extreme shooters, which shoot water under the most pressure to 420 feet in the air. These shooters create a loud "boom" noise after water is ejected; they made a sound like fireworks. The super shooters and extreme shooters are used the least during each show because it takes a lot of time to build up enough pressure and energy to shoot water that high in the air.

The fountain was designed by WET Design a California-based company and it is illuminated by 6,600 lights and 25 coloured projectors. It is 275 m long and shoots water 150 m into the air, accompanied by a range of classical to contemporary Arabic and world music.

Burj Khalifa from the distance
It was built at a cost of AED 800 million or USD 218 million.

After the show on the lake I decided that I wanted to see if I could get in the tallest building in the world the magnificent Burj Khalifa, which was one of the few things that I wanted to do in Dubai.

The Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world with a height of 828 metres and more than 160 stories. The building is a new landmark of Dubai moving the old Hotel Burj Al Arab to a close second place. Its structure and enormous height make it an obvious outstanding sight in the Dubai Skyline.

Burj Khalifa is the tallest free-standing structure in the world and has naturally the highest number of stories in the world. Already the first day of my stay I decided to go and visit the building.

My Hertz rental - a Toyota Camry
I started by admiring the building from outside before I went to the visiting centre which is situated in The Dubai Mall.

I had hoped to be able to visit the outdoor observation deck during the daytime but it turned out that it was sold out for the whole period of my stay. I therefore without hesitation bought one of their immediate tickets which I found quite expensive; around 80 euro but this might be once in a lifetime for me.

There was no queue so I walked all the way to the fabulous elevator quite quickly following the long row of stairs and decorative halls. The elevator was really fast; it took only 1 minute to get up to the tallest outdoor observation deck in the world at 452 meters or 124 stories up in the building.

The view in the evening was stunning and looking down at the impressive Dubai skyline was magnificent.

Ras Al Khor Wildlife Santuary
The whole city was up lighted and some of the buildings were shinning like stars. It was awesome that you were able to take picture in the free without taking them through the glass.

I must say that it was really impressive to think that this place was only a bit more than halfway of this building. One the way down I was alone in the elevator and I talked a bit to the elevator hostess. They only worked 1 hour in the elevator before they shifted to another position in the chain of service functions for the visitors. In this hour they would travel between 15 – 25 kilometres up and down; which also was stunning to think about.

Not only is Burj Khalifa the world’s tallest building, it has also broken two other impressive records: tallest structure, previously held by the KVLY-TV mast in Blanchard, North Dakota, and tallest free-standing structure, previously held by Toronto’s CN Tower.

Burj Khalifa

The Building has today some visiting features like the At the Top, Burj Khalifa Observation deck on level 124, At.mosphere, Burj Khalifa which is a fine dining restaurant on level 122. Besides this there is The Residence which hosts 900 Burj Khalifa residences. There is The Corporate Suites which occupies 37 office floors, The Armani Hotel Dubai which hosts 160 guestrooms and suites and finally Armani Residences Dubai with 144 private residences.

Chokk says:
Ha ha - I had almost guessed it
dahling says:
Both - silly you...
Chokk says:
To bed or to Dubai :D ?
Posted on: Jul 25, 2011
The design features are awesome - …
The design features are awesome -…
They are still building everywhere
Huge building and wild design in U…
Huge building and wild design in …
I had expected many mosques than I…
I had expected many mosques than …
Welcome to UAE
Large new building near the airpor…
Large new building near the airpo…
Angle of a building
Angle of a building
The Metro construction
The Metro construction
My car in reflection
My car in reflection
Park Place is a 56-floor mixed-use…
Park Place is a 56-floor mixed-us…
Park Place is a 56-floor mixed-use…
Park Place is a 56-floor mixed-us…
Sheikh Zayed Road and the skyline
One of the Emirates Towers, built …
One of the Emirates Towers, built…
Yet another tall building on Sheik…
Yet another tall building on Shei…
The Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC…
The Dubai World Trade Centre (DWT…
Details on a house
Details on a house
The Emirates Towers, built in 2007…
The Emirates Towers, built in 200…
One of the Emirates Towers, built …
One of the Emirates Towers, built…
My hotel the Rose Rayhaan by Rotan…
My hotel the Rose Rayhaan by Rota…
Rose Rayhaan by Rotana - the world…
Rose Rayhaan by Rotana - the worl…
A complex of high rize on Sheikh Z…
A complex of high rize on Sheikh …
Excotic design on Sheikh Zayed Road
Excotic design on Sheikh Zayed Road
Detail in the sun
Detail in the sun
Rose Rotana Hotel
Rose Rotana Hotel
Detaild on my hotel Rose Rotana
Detaild on my hotel Rose Rotana
A building along the Sheikh Zayed …
A building along the Sheikh Zayed…
Details of a building
Details of a building
Sheikh Zayed Road and the local ro…
Sheikh Zayed Road and the local r…
Rose Rayhaan by Rotana - the world…
Rose Rayhaan by Rotana - the worl…
Sheikh Zayed Road
Sheikh Zayed Road
My hotel room on 17th floor
My view across Sheikh Zayed Road a…
My view across Sheikh Zayed Road …
My view towards Sheikh Zayed Road …
My view towards Sheikh Zayed Road…
Inside my hotel
Inside my hotel
Hotel Burj Al Arab
The helicopter landing point at Ho…
The helicopter landing point at H…
Surfing Dubai
The parking area at Hotel Al Qasr
Inside Hotel Al Qasr
Inside Hotel Al Qasr
Hotel Atlantis
The sundown in Dubai from the Atla…
The sundown in Dubai from the Atl…
The sundown in Dubai from the Atla…
The sundown in Dubai from the Atl…
Twisted sister
Fashion starts here
One of many squares
One of many squares
The aqua zoo
The largest acrylic glass wall in …
The largest acrylic glass wall in…
One of many food vendors
My oysters
My oysters
The Address Downtown building
The Address Downtown building
A piece of The Address Downtown bu…
A piece of The Address Downtown b…
Looking at the Souk
The direction to Mecca
Good night the first day in Dubai
Good night the first day in Dubai
A landmark of Dubai
The Burj Al Arab is probably right now the most well known landmark of Dubai but now being heavily pressed as a landmark by the new Burj Khalifa. I ne… read entire review
Dubai Sights & Attractions review
The tallest building in the world
One of the few things that I really wanted to do in Dubai was to visit the magnificent Burj Khalifa. The Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the w… read entire review
Dubai Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nice food and a nice place
I had been busy all afternoon since I had woken up in my hotel room after my flight; Dubai had so much to show and I was getting hungry. Inside th… read entire review
A fabulous watershow
I was not aware about the Dubai Fountain before a taxi driver kept on talking about it for long time while I was driving with him. It turned out that … read entire review
The jewel of Madinat Jumeirah
I know that this should be a hotel review but I did not stay at the hotel so I don’t feel like that I am able to do that in a thorough and honest wa… read entire review
Dubai Sights & Attractions review
One of the most beautiful building at night-time
I have a serious love for beautiful buildings and I think that The Address Downtown Dubai is probably one of the most beautiful modern buildings in th… read entire review
It is just enormous
The Dubai Mall can be a very expensive place and paradise if you are a brand freak. The shopping mall is the region's premier luxury shopping place an… read entire review
Dubai Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Great food and really fast
On my way home to the hotel after a fully loaded first day I was getting hungry again and I decided to see which possibilities for a meal that was clo… read entire review
Get Ready to Enter the Record Books
AT THE TOP is actually the tour up into the highest building in the world; the Burj Khalifa or Get Ready to Enter the Record Books as they state on th… read entire review
Dubai Hotels & Accommodations review