Just strolling in Split

Split Travel Blog

Lateral street view in Split

I really enjoyed my day at Split even if we were mostly woundering around. Our first goal was shopping but that did not work out so well as stores were closed pretty early for a Saturday (around 2 pm)! So you shoppers beware.. get there early as from what I have seen there is some nice shopping to do. Get your Kuna's ready!!

My day at Split was my last full day in Croatia before heading back in Switzerland and we ended up on tinny streets where the walls of each buildings are very close to one an other. People living here can must probably borrow sugar from their neighboors by simply stretching out there arms through their windows.

Our walk then took us to the Riva, Split's palm fringed pedestrian waterfront filled with bars and coffee terasses where you have a great view on the port and sea.

Moi at Diocletian's palace
At night, this same street is illuminated and filled with action such as street entertainers giving break dance shows to the passer bys. ( I love break so I was very impressed by the guy that spinned on his head for a full minute!! Grrrr..) Of course we had to taste the local cocktails on Riva and I must say the Cuba Libre was good but very "light". For a stronger drink go straight to the bar it will be a bit cheaper than on the terasse and much more tasty!! Also lets not forget to mention that Croatian red wine and Rosé are excellent and really affordable! =)

When in Spit you can hop on different ferries to go around the different gorgeous islands of Croatia such as Brac. Buying your ferry ticket in advance (1 day before or early in the morning) would be a good idea as these boats get filled with tourists very quickly.

The cupola
There is so much to see on these different islands or towns that you should plan to stay at least 2 weeks to see a big chunk of it! The next time I visit Croatia (hopefully my friend will invite me again) I will definatly visit much more! Dubrovenic was a place I really wanted to see but with the huge fires in this zone, I passed for the time being! I would like to specify that tourists should be extra carefull with fire, cigarettes, bbq or any device that generates heat.. Everything is so dry here due to the very hot weather that fires can start very quickly and burn down many houses, forests, historical sites etc.. So please, achtung!!!!!!

We also turned out in Diocletian's palace one of Unesco's world heritage. This masterpiece was build as a grand retirement home for the Roman Emperor Diocletian.

other lateral street view in Split
Obviously, it was with time modified by refugees and is crumbling and ramshaclked in parts but it is so nice to see... Elegant colonades, imposing cathedral, subterranean chambers, cupola are only a few things you can see on this site. If you are lucky you might catch as well the romans dressed with the old costum! *Priceless*

Outside of the old town, Split to me is just an other city. The buildings here look all the same, and have a sqare shape that reminds me of hlm in Montreal.

We ended our day with a great fishermann plater that was ultra fresh and tasty.. Captain highliner, eat your shorts!!! For those of you interested in a good sea food meal.. walk.. dont stop at the first restaurant you see.. Go out in smaller streets where the locals eat, if you stop to fast you might be desapointed!!! I know I wasnt =)

Many thanks to my friend Elvis that invited me here and sowed me around this awesome paradise!! Please.. invite me again soon =)

D

Consuela says:
humm lucky u, enjoy a fish platter for me, they are so fresh and tasty!! AHHH calamares!! =)
Posted on: Aug 19, 2007
travelman727 says:
Thanks for the info! We'll be spending a night in Split during our September Magical Mystery Tour :-D
Posted on: Aug 19, 2007
Consuela says:
Well then eat your crappy fish!! lol
xox miss you my friend!!
Posted on: Aug 12, 2007
Moi at Diocletians palace
Moi at Diocletian's palace
other lateral street view in Split
The peristyle of Diocletians pala…
The peristyle of Diocletian's pal…
Diocletian's palace
Ladies... just for you =) The one …
Ladies... just for you =) The one…
Just nice!