Me Tarzan, She Jane

Granada Travel Blog

Angie Loves Christmas

Hi again, in the words of a Somersetian "Ow be on?" and from a Glaswegian "Och aye the noo?"

Last time we wrote one of these things it was the year 2006 and indeed that is the moment in history where we will begin this tale of egg laying, festivities and jungle adventures.

Granada was a great place although it was always swelteringly hot and you´d be lucky to catch a sniff of a breeze. It is an amazingly beautiful and colourful place but maybe more importantly it is the home of ´Nica Buffet´which we frequented every single day for the huge tasty breakfasts served by a crazy Dutch guy who sounded and looked just like Goldmember from Austin Powers......"I like the toight pansh, toight like a toiger."

With Christmas fast approaching we budgeted ourselves the equivalent of 10 squids each and headed to a giant market in the nearby town of Masaya.

San Juan Del Sur
For the most part this Market was horrendous and you were constantly hassled as you walked past smelly stalls, usually covered in chickens, both dead and alive. After a while we stumbled upon a nicer part, which had local crafts for sale and we went our seperate ways in search of gifts. My first gift was for myself of course and I am now the proud owner of a hammock, which I have to lug around with me. Whilst wandering around this market I have to say that I felt sorry for Angie as I am  convinced that it is easier to find things that she would like on a craft stall than it would be to find things for me, as I only claim to like things that are edible.

On christmas day we both got a surprise Christmas treat that we had never had before.

Sea Turtle
....a lie in!! Honestly, it is the way to go and you masochistic folk who like to rise at the break of day are just sick. When we were up we exchanged gifts. I got a satsuma, which I would traditionally get in my stocking, a big fat Cuban cigar, a cool Bart Simpson style catapult and a Piñata. For those of you who are uneducated in international festivities (Mum), this is a paper mache object usually in the shape of an animal, but mine was in the shape of Spiderman, that a blindfolded kid will hit with a bat until it breaks open and a load of candy falls out. Anyway, it took me about 10 minutes for me to sufficiently beat Spiderman using the back of my catapult before his head fell off. Slightly dissapointing was the fact that instead of sweets it had been filled with clay, but good fun none the less.
Tarantula
I gave Angie a little painting in a local style, a bracelet and some earings made out of polished coconut shell. The rest of Christmas day we spent wandering around Granada, taking in the festivities and visiting the huge brightly lit Christmas tree they had in the central square. We then went to a nice hotel to have a typical Christmas dinner of lasagne and steak. Rumour has it that for the first time in 24 years there was still food left on the table after the Masters christmas dinner, bruv, you let me down. We met a couple from Devon in the hotel and finished Christmas in a blur of cuba libres.

Next stop was San Juan Del Sur on the pacific coast of Nicaragua, where we mainly hung out on the beach and played volleyball in the sea. The amount of wind meant that anyone stepping out of the sea looked like a giant walking doughnut and on a couple mof occasions I had to restrain Angie from biting people.

Sleeping Bird
We stayed in a nice little hostel called Rebecca´s Inn and played with the owners 4 month old puppy who was built like a tank. One night we went to a beach called La Flor, where we watched Sea Turtles come up onto the beach to lay there eggs. This was an incredible sight and our guide showed us how to do this without frightening or disturbing the turtles, but it was sad to see some people running about noisily and shining torches in the turtles eyes. We even saw one turtle come out of the sea to lay her eggs only to retreat back because of the comotion. We saw some baby turtles hatching and Angie and I were lucky enough to hold a couple that had just hatched as they were to weak to reach the Sea by themselves and needed helping.

Fact: Only 1 in 1000 hatchlings will survive to maturity and they will spend the first 5-8 years of their lives simply drifting in the current of the sea.

I went on a dive, but it was really bad visibility so I saw hardly anything. I did however get taken out on a luxury yacht as the diveshop boat broke down, which was nice.

On new years eve we met up with Dionne (she did have a worm) and Emily, who we stayed with in Roatan, and headed to a big outdoor party, where you payed $10 dollars and all drinks were free. It was a good night and by the end we were drenched in Alcohol as everyone threw their drinks in the air at midnight. Something tells me that people wouldn´t be so wasteful if they had to pay for their next drink.

On the second we set off for the border to Costa Rica where we spent a considerable amount of time. Most of this time was spent in a queue for a non existant bus even though we had been informed by three people including a policeman that it was the right queue. The next day we went to a town surrounded by cloud forest called Monteverde. Here we went on a zip line tour through the forest canopy. The tour consisted of 16 zip lines some of which went right over the top of the forest. On one zip line we went over a rainbow. The zip lines are really fast and you are given leather gloves to use as brakes on the wire. Unfortunately for Angie her arms are too weak so she generally used the tree at the end of the line to stop her....ouch! On the same tour we did a rappel, where we were told to loosely hold a rope, then lean backwards and step off a tower. We weren´t told what would happen next. Just as you are thinking that your backwards free fall is going to end in a trip to the nearest hospital, some guy pulls a rope and you come to a stop inches from the ground. At the age of 24, I was quite embarrassed in the knowledge of how close I had come to needing a change of undercrackers due to that thing. The last part of the tour was a tarzan swing where you step/are pushed off a platform and again just before you make contact with the ground the swing takes hold and you shoot miles out over the canopy. It is a breathtaking view of the forest from there and you are moving so quickly that you feel like a bird. Even Angie´s initial scream of terror turned into laughter.

The next night we did a night tour and saw some racoons, loads of weird insects and some sleeping birds who puff themselves up into a ball to keep warm. They look really weird. We also saw some massive tarantulas, that are guide claimed did not have strong enough venom to do humans serious harm. We decided not to mention the fact that they were big enough that they could have eaten him whole.

After a night spent in San Jose we have now arrived in Peru and a new continent for the last leg of our trip.

Granada