Lille

Lille Travel Blog

So I arrive in Lille, having been physically harrased by some fat Americans hell bent on going to Venice and determined to splurge and take up more space in the Eurostar terminal than is socially and morally acceptable; and aurally harrased by some precocious little English girl who can only have been trained to whine in such a perfected manner. French children are so much more well behaved.

I get off the train and quietly panic. It is the first time I will have couchsurfed with someone, and I am putting great tust in a website that quite frequently fails and breaks down at critical points. But Ben telephones, and we soon find each other, and all panic quickly dissapates as we walk to his appartment.  My nausea brought on by the sheer speed of the train, and the awful nature of the Eurostar coffee, which the french barman on the train profusely apologised, subsided as we hit the cool fresh air of Lille, and the sights and smells of a new(ish) country start to impact upon my fresh and impressionable mind.

Ben's appartment is small, but for a city centre appartment it is well priced and has that feeling of frenchness that is impossible to recreate outside of the country. There is the smell of coffee, ground by oneself, (which can dangerously hurt the arm as I find out), there is an Irish bar ourside, there are kamikaze car drivers which routinely have accidents.

One of the days I went to an art museum in Wazemmes district to the Southwest of the city centre; Ben was preparing for a party with the theme "green" so he bought 50€ worth of cakes. A marvellous amount of cakes, all with green in them.

We also went to the supermarket Auchan aswell. For a country that prides itself on antiglobalisation, slow food and an antiwar stance (which are probably all interlinked somehow), it sure has some of the biggest supermarkets/hypermarkets that I have ever seen. Even Tesco doesn't get as big as them! Maybe Wallmart. We bought a plant. Marvellous.

I saw my first porcupine, like ever, in the zoo in Lille. Thank you Lille.
Lille