La Barbena de Sant Joan

Terrassa Travel Blog

some fish in the Mercat de L'Independencia
In the morning I went with my father to the mercat de L'Independencia which is right off of the Rambla in the old part of the city, there we bought all the ingredients necessary for making the traditional paella. My father had scheduled a party with some Senegalese immigrants who he knows from Terrassa. The market is composed of a bunch of stands, some for fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, cheese, olives, prepared foods, etc.. all under a covered roof. Many of the stands are from local farmers or fishermen who bring their foods fresh and ripe for you to buy.
After we had all the ingredients my dad went home and I walked around the Rambla or main street for a while, and went to see my aunt who has a small kitten now.
On returning home my father had already started the paella and I helped him set the table and I put out the cheese and crackers for apetizer, I also made a salad but then we forgot about it so we didn't eat it.
Sant Joan firecrackers

i didn't know any of the guests so it was a little strange when I had to entertain the guests while my father was finishing the paella. Two ladies came with little girls who were very sweet one was about 3 and the other maybe a year younger.
They brought over a Senegalese drink called Pisap, or something like that which is very sweet and tastes somewhat of berries. One of the ladies also gave me some African perfume which smells like incense, it's nice. They make it by pouring other colones onto a burning log of a special wood so that it adheres the smell of the wood as well as the original colone atributes, it's a little sticky.
we ate the paella which everybody loved, it was made really well, except for one man who was afraid of the shrimp so he didn't eat any.
Rambla, main street of the city.

After they had gone I took a siesta and at night me and my father went to see the traditional bonfire that is made every year to celebrate the longest day of the year, or close since I believe that is the 21st. We walked around and saw the wood pile pre-burning and the kids gathered round who would set the pile on fire. before the fire many people were setting off firecrackers and fireworks so we watched that, it was a little scary because there were kids throwing around the firecrackers and some parents not really watching them, so I was always looking around to make sure none of them were thrown in my direction.
There were some items in the fire that were a little strange, there was a bicycle and some plastic chairs which everyone told the kids to take out but they didn't.
barbena de Sant Joan

When the fire started everybody gathered around and watched as the kids put a couple burning newspapers in the pile and it cought on with the rest of the furniture and chairs. While the fire was small I wa up really close, but as it grew it got really really hot and everyone moved away. It was really amazing, it was so big and dramatic. It was kind of windy, so that helped it grow. But anyway, I was glad the kids didn't remove the plastic chairs because that ws the best part, other than the bad burnt plastic smell it was super cool to see them melt away under the flames. The office chairs also melted and all that was left was the metal interior. A really cool tradition that nowadays is done less and less because there are not too many empty lots available to do this in, the government has to make laws of where you can make these bonfires so that nothing burns down.
The Sant Joan bonfire!

After the fire we went to the Ateneu Candela which at night is sort of like a club, and one of the guys who works there showed me around the upstairs. There was a dj, immigrant from Africa who was spinning some beats, and a lot of people were dancing. But I eneded up leaving pretty early.

This day is a really cool time to be in Spain because of the fireworks and parties all over, also because around this time of late June and early July there are a lot of Festa Major, or the town party where everyone has off and many activities are scheduled. Those are also cool to go to.
some fish in the Mercat de LIndep…
some fish in the Mercat de L'Inde…
barbena de Sant Joan
The Sant Joan bonfire!
The medieval remains of the walls …
The medieval remains of the walls…
My father preparing a feast.
My father preparing a feast.
the wood pile pre-burning
the wood pile pre-burning
Terrassa Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The building is used to host art exibitions and as a "cultural center". The bar is just on the side of where the exhibits are but that closes very ear… read entire review
Terrassa