Santiago!

Santiago de Compostela Travel Blog

The main facade of the Cathedral of St. James.
Santiago de Compostela is one of the holiest sites in the Roman Catholic religion. Since the Middle Ages, thousands upon thousands of pilgrims have made the long journey to Santiago. The city itself is located in northwestern Spain, in the province of Galicia. The province is unique since the majority of the people speak Galician, a local dialect. It is very similar to Portuguese, in fact Portuguese and Galicians can understand each other perfectly.It was confusing adjusting to this special dialect. People in this area also play bagpipes. This custom originated from Celtic people who originally inhabited the area. Galicia looks completely different from much of Spain. It rains much more than in major Spanish cities like Madrid or Barcelona, since it is located west of the Cantabrian Mountains.
View from the side of the church.
The distinct scenery was beautiful, and it was something different than what you would normally find in other parts of Spain.

The ship docked in Vigo, one of Galicia's major ports. From there, a bus took me all the way to Santiago. On the way, I marveled at the magnificent landscape, from the green, green mountains to sparkling rivers. When I arrived to Santiago, I had to walk from the bus parking lot to the center of the town. While walking, I heard bagpipes. When I got closer the people playing the bagpipes even had kilts, which reminded me of Scotland.

My main destination was Saint James's Cathedral. It is said to be built on top of his tomb, and that's why many pilgrims make the very long journey here. The facade of the structure is absolutely beautiful, decorated in a Romanesque style. The plaza that stood before it was pretty big, and I walked around it, looking at the cathedral from different angles. When I entered it, a special mass was about to start, so I only had a quick glance of the amazing interior. I saw a nun singing hymns before leaving the church. After exiting the building, I looked at some small, quaint shops on either side of a narrow street. Most of them sold small statues of saints, keychains, walking sticks for pilgrims, and all items related to the pilgrimage. After seeing all the nice sights, I returned to the bus.
The main facade of the Cathedral o…
The main facade of the Cathedral …
View from the side of the church.
An organ inside the church.
An organ inside the church.
Belltower.