The Rock, and the awesome experience with Barbary Apes!

Gibraltar Travel Blog

Several barbary apes at Gibraltar snatched some chip bags from innocent children (lol) and ate them.
Gibraltar is relatively small, located on a small peninsula in southern Spain. This area has been coveted by many different empires because of its strategic location on the confluence of both the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. Today, it is owned by the British as a territory. The main characteristic of Gibraltar is the huge rock rising 1,396 feet from the ground, a truly majestic sight. The city below is heavily influenced by the British. English is the official language, but Spanish and Portuguese from nearby countries are also spoken. There are many things to see here, including the top of the Rock and a cave system! The funny thing about the Rock is that it is completely filled with monkeys called "Barbary Apes". These little fellows are really smart, and I REALLY recommend any visitor to not bring ANY food, unless you want one to jump on you, trying to steal the chip bag you're holding, (that actually happened to this lady in front of me; she was hysterical!!).
The Rock, Gibraltar.
Well, there are plenty of signs at the entrance to the Rock (the cableway), warning you to not bring any food with you, not even in your bag. Tour guides also warn you of it. When I got to the top of the Rock, I was swept away by the commanding views of the harbor and Bay of Gibraltar. Of course, I watched out for the monkeys... I was near the cafeteria they have on top of the Rock, when two little kids came out with chip bags. Immediately, two monkeys out of nowhere came and snatched the bags from them at lightning speed!! It was hilarious, since they then opened the bags and proceeded to eating everything inside. Another batch of monkeys came and stole a bag from a woman, since I think it had an apple inside. The woman was horrified, since the bag held many different documents important to her.
Inside St. Michael's Cave.
The primates then escaped from her grasp and climbed up a tree. I had an awesome time with them XD!! After I visited the Rock, I went to St. Michael's Cave, a cave right underneath the huge rock. Inside, it was illuminated with beautiful lights, creating an almost ethereal atmosphere. I have always liked visiting caves, since we have some back home in Puerto Rico. When I left the cave, I proceeded to visiting Princess Caroline's Battery, a system of tunnels built right beneath the Rock, with cannon holes carved on the side of the giant monolith. It was tiring walking through the tunnels, but was well worth it. The small tunnels could've made claustrophobic people sick... After all the sightseeing, I decided to enter this shop to buy a cool drink. In an instant, another Barbary Ape came in and snatched a jar of blueberry jam, then ran up a tree. The funny part was that the manager of the shop came out cursing at the monkey =D!!! After another funny encounter with the monkeys, I decided to call it a day. Gibraltar was very interesting and I would definitely come back again.
Several barbary apes at Gibraltar…
The Rock, Gibraltar.
Inside St. Michaels Cave.
Inside St. Michael's Cave.
More of the cave.
More of the cave.
The view from the top of the Rock.
The view from the top of the Rock.
Gibraltar