Amsterdam, Windmills, and Clogs

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Windmill.
The Netherlands... home of clogs, polders, windmills, and, of course, Amsterdam!! It's a famous and infamous city at the same time, from the Red Light District to the Concertgebouw Theater... Just outside from this great metropolis, there's a beautiful countryside filled with picturesque windmills and fairy-like houses. Holland is an amazing country!

The ship arrived in Rotterdam, one of the busiest ports in the world. Ship traffic was heavy inside the port, as many cargo-holders were leaving to different destinations around the world. It was very amusing seeing all the action unfolding. After seeing the interesting port, I boarded a bus to Amsterdam, but on the way it would stop at some windmills.
While driving towards the windmills, I saw picture-perfect houses lined up beside a beautiful canal. Short bridges would cross the canal right onto the house's garage; very cool. The cars were usually compact, much smaller than in the US. Some houses had tiled roofs, while others had tightly thatched ones. As we got near our destination, the canal filled up with nice-looking algae.

The windmills were awesome! There were three of them, one after another. I was surprised that people lived inside them, since I thought that they were only meant to be used as a machine. One family was outside their house/windmill, just enjoying the nice weather. The scene was so calm and serene, I didn't want to leave, I actually wanted to own one of those windmills =D. After taking some pictures next to these absolutely beautiful structures, the bus then proceeded to Amsterdam.

When the bus arrived in Amsterdam, it stopped next to a town square. Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum was on one side, while two giant department stores flanked the other sides. Since we had such limited time in the city, we visited one of the department stores. Wow, they were just huge!! It was like triple the size of a normal Sears, and had everything from books to modern furniture. After visiting this huge establishment, I ate at this amazing restaurant nearby. It looked like a nice tavern, and even had the traditional beer kegs. The food was absolutely delicious, the dessert even better. This restaurant was fantastic!

After the good restaurant, I boarded the bus. This time, it was going to a traditional clog factory nearby. When the bus arrived, I entered the building, where a guide showed groups of people how clogs are made, and the functions of the tools necessary to make them. Watching the machine cut away at the block of wood was very interesting, transforming it into a nice clog. The giftshop next to the work area had a huge stock of different types of clogs. There were traditional wooden clogs, soft clog slippers, etc. There were also windmill models and other Dutch souvenirs.

My day in Holland was fantastic! I really liked all that this great country had to offer. I want to return, with much more time to see this amazing nation!
Windmill.
One of the amazing windmills.
One of the amazing windmills.
Beautiful canal with algae.
Beautiful canal with algae.
Nice, small bridge.
Nice, small bridge.
One of the quaint houses near Amst…
One of the quaint houses near Ams…
4,278 km (2,658 miles) traveled