Singing in the rain

Nguu Trung Travel Blog

Nha Trang beach

Nha Trang, which for some reason the computer changes as above, is a beautiful beach resort in the middle of the Vietnamese coast. Many people travel here for the honeymoon or a resort vacation. It was also the stop I was most excited about.

We had to tender aboard again today, which was unexpected, but even though we had to wait an hour or so we finally made it. It has been pouring rain all day and we just decided to be wet. I think I mentioned earlier that Brian is anti-umbrella, so we left it behind and just got wet.

Nha Trang is beautiful, with a very long stretch of beach, about 4 kilometers, or just under 2 miles long. My Grandpa told me he was on the main beach when he disarmed the bombs, so since it is a long stretch we took photos of several parts of it.

A view of the harbor
We were not able to identify the building where he was held, but again, it has probably been rebuilt in the past 60 years.

We wandered the town, and checked out all of the store fronts and businesses. I wanted to put my feet in the South China Sea, so I did....and Brian took a photo. My goal is to swim in every ocean/sea in the world, so if is a very rainy day, I like to at least put my feet in the sea.

If you haven't read "A Cook's Tour" by Anthony Bourdain, please stop reading this blog and go out and buy the book, it is great! He spends lots of time in Vietnam and while in Nha Trang he takes a "ferry" across from the market to the small island off the coast of Nha Trang.

Fruit at the Dam Market
The ferry is a one-woman saucer-shaped raft which you balance on while she paddles you across the sea. Brian and I really wanted to do this, but with the pouring rain they do not seem to be running today. If th rain stops we are hopeful that we can try it out!

We looked for a place to eat lunch....and after entering and exiting a few, found a great cafe for some Pho. Pho is the national dish of Vietnam and also the number one Vietnamese comfort food. Think chicken noodle soup when you are sick....it is delicious. Pho is a basic broth with rice noodles and you can add any type of meat you want. They bring this out in a steaming bowl and then they bring two plates heaped with vegetables and herbs for you to add in and season your pho the way you like it. They always have basil, which adds great flavor as well as onions, cabbage, lettuce and other items. We each got a large bowl of beef, or Pho Ba, and piled in the veggies and herbs. We also each ordered a 333 beer, which is the national brand. It was warm in a can, but since we are not drinking the ice here, we ignored the glass with ice they brought and drank it warm.

The pho was fantastic...it is so filling and delicious, that after you want to nap! We found an internet cafe so we could catch up on our trip.

Vietnam is amazing and I definitely want to return here and explore some more. We are heading to the Dam Market after this so we will be full of Dam stories and Dam souvenirs on our next blog! :)

julie_lentz says:
I've been reading your blog every morning over breakfast, Kim, and I love it! Your adventures so far sound amazing -- thank you for doing this and sharing with the rest of us land-locked people. Keep enjoying!
Posted on: Oct 22, 2007
333 the national beer of Vietnam
333 the national beer of Vietnam
Sailing into Nha Trang
Sailing into Nha Trang
My Grandpa says this beach has cha…
My Grandpa says this beach has ch…
Delicious pho