All aboard

Bangkok Travel Blog

Happy to be aboard

Boarding a cruise ship is not as easy as it looks on the Love Boat. Since this is my first cruise, and since I was an avid watcher of the Love Boat and since we are sailing Princess Cruises, all of my references are to the show!

We do not have a bartender named Isaac. :)

From Bangkok we had to get to the port of Laem Chabang, which is 2 hours away. We took the shuttle and enjoyed seeing some of the Thai countryside. Once at the port it was total chaos. Even though boarding begins at 11 and we did not arrive until 1:30...everyone seemed to be there at once and there were no apparent lines or organization.

While trying to find the line and join it we met the meanest Canadian I have ever known. As a rule, Canadians are very friendly people and I wondered if this woman was a recent immigrant to Canada.

The "black" box for the ship
I would not have even suspected that she was from Canada at all, except for her large name tag which indicated that she hailed from the great North. Anyway, after she yelled and scolded us, we meekly went another direction and found a different line. Now when we see her on the ship we turn heel and walk away. :)

We stood in line for 2 hours...I mention this only because this was the only time I have had sore feet during this entire trip and Brian and I have done a lot of walking....but two hours of standing did me in! :)

We finally boarded and we were so excited to explore the ship. Brian was a bit anxious and hyper as he showed me everything. Brian is a cruise veteran and he loves cruising. I think he was worried that I might hate it and if so, that would be the end of our relationship.

Happy to be on board
Not to worry, I love it! We found all of the best bars, theatres, restaurants and all of the fun and games.

Once we finished exploring we got ready for dinner. We have 4 different sit-down restaurants that we can dine at anytime and 2 other restaurants that we can make a reservation for. Our goal is to try them all and then choose our favorite restaurant and waiter so we can get the "regular" customer treatment. After dinner we headed to the night club, only to discover that it was pretty empty. The good news was that meant that Brian and I won both free bottles of champagne that were given away...yummy!

There was a band from Jamaica called Deep Blue playing and they were pretty good. Mostly 70s and 80s, but lots of good dance tunes. Much to my surprise, Brian asked me to dance, and even more to my surprise, it turns out he can dance. He spun me around the floor for several dances, including swing and two-step and we had a great time!

We have almost every other day completely at sea, so we will have plenty of time to relax by the pool, read a good book, enjoy some good food and enjoy all the ship has to offer!

Happy to be aboard
The black box for the ship
The "black" box for the ship