Planning, planning

Bangkok Travel Blog

Next October we are embarking on the trip of a lifetime, 3 weeks touring Asia! Because I have never been to Asia and because I don't speak any of the languages, there is a bit of intimidation...but not to worry, we are spending the bulk of our trip on a cruise.

The trip will begin in Bangkok, Thailand where we will spend 4 days exploring and soaking up the culture. We board the cruise ship in Bangkok and head to Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nagasaki and Okinawa Japan and end up in Beijing where we will spend another 4 days before heading home. The cruise will allow us to get a brief introduction to several cities so that we can decide where we want to return for further exploration.

Planning a trip to Asia requires research on multiple different visas, languages, foods, cultures and lots of crazy shots. It will be my first trip to not one, but two communist nations, so there are political issues to consider as well. My companion and I intend to blog our trip, so our friends can read about our adventure from two different perspectives.

One of the best parts of planning so far has been my discovery of google earth. Of course I am probably the last person on earth to discover this site, but no matter! It has been really fun to seach the cities we will be visiting and to plot out potential hotels, sites to visit, map distances from the airport to the beach and generally explore the cities. What a fantastic tool!

It will also be my first cruise, which is exciting. Of course taking a cruise means that I cannot travel with one small backpack which is my practice. I will need more than one pair of shoes and several different types of clothing for the ship. I still plan to pack as lightly as possible because I never enjoy dragging large amounts of luggage around the world.

There are less than four months until our departure and I am already counting the days!

MelissaBeth says:
I'm taking this same cruise next week, and will be able to put all of your tips and experiences to good use. Thanks so much for all of your information. Glad you enjoyed your trip!
Posted on: Apr 02, 2010
sylviandavid says:
Packing is the biggest challenge.... because no matter what you take you put more in by the end of the trip so the luggage gets heavier...
Posted on: Oct 31, 2007